Honored Contributor

Is what I'm thinking of doing in poor taste? Be honest. I can take it.

My church has various fundraisers which involve food. I'm often asked to cook, and even when I'm not asked, I generally volunteer. No one takes money from the church to buy ingredients when they cook, it is understood that the one who contributes the food is spending her own money. I've always been okay with that, even though the people who provide food are still expected to pay their entry fee for the fundraiser.

For instance, I donated a huge crockpot of chili a couple of months ago, and DH and I still had to pay $10 each to participate in the cook off.

There was a time when I wouldn't have thought twice about this, but DH has been out of work for 13 months and money is very tight.

There's an upcoming fundraiser luncheon and I'd like to cook something. Is it in bad taste if I offer to cook something and someone else purchases the ingredients? I don't want to have to decline their request due to finances.

Thanking you in advance for your thoughtful opinions.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Is what I'm thinking of doing in poor taste? Be honest. I can take it.

I don't think it's in poor taste at all. I think it's rather creative. Perhaps there's someone who wants to contribute but isn't a good cook. The two of you can pair up and you both offer something up. If times are tough then you have to make changes that make sense for the way things are now. You shouldn't feel badly about this approach. Clearly, you still want to contribute, but need to manage your contribution in a way that supports your family as well as your church.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I agree with stevieb!

Super Contributor

I don""t think it is in poor taste. I think it is very thoughtful and you are doing what you can do. I would gladly pay for the ingredients if someone else would cook. I would be very thankful.

Contributor

I think it is a great idea! Some people don't have the time or ability to cook...and might donate the funds while you do the cooking! Everyone benefits!
Valued Contributor

I don't really cook, so partnering with someone like you would be perfect for someone like me.
Esteemed Contributor

You asked for honesty.....so, to be honest, yes, I think it's in poor taste to ask someone else to purchase the ingredients. I think it'd be more appropriate to skip it altogether. You should not feel obligated to participate at all. Really.
Contributor

Could you help with set up/clean up before and/or after the event? Seems to me that would be a way to contribute your time without the cost of ingredients for a dish.

Regular Contributor

At my church and where I used to work we did this all the time, so I think it's very much okay. I guess it all depends on the group of people.
Honored Contributor

HouseCat , If I attended your church, we'd get along like a house on fire. I'm one of those people who will say, here's the money, buy what you want, just don't make me cook it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise