Trusted Contributor

Re: New Toy. Now What?

[ Edited ]

I got the Artisan "mini," which is 3.5 quarts. I made a gluten free espresso bundt cake today--the first cake I've baked in probably 20 years! The mini makes a half recipe, which is perfect for my small bundt pan.

Trusted Contributor

The mini can even whip a single egg to peaks! The bigger mixers don't do really small quantities well. My mini is so easy to pick up and move, too. I got a matte white finish, like whipped cream. Adorbs.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all for your ideas! I will definitely do the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Tomorrow I'm trying gluten free scones with no sugar added--just a bit of apple reduction. Luckily, I don't know enough about baking to know what I can't do!!

Respected Contributor

@KaySDCongratulations ! Have fun. 

If the baby one had been around when I purchased one , it probably would have been my choice.  Less counter space used. I bought the lift up one with a ss bowl (which I do like as I would most likely break a glass one. ( clumsy) I find it great for large batches but as a household of 2 don't always need that. But I love it.

For non-dessert items I agree with poster that mentioned pulled pork and mashed potatoes. The latter I make big batches after pc then freeze  in small batches so I am not tempted to use instant which are so loaded with preservatives.

One advantage I think with a KA is so many of the attachments can replace other appliances ( although they are high $$s)  & conserve countertop/storing real estate. I was thinking about this when shopping to buy thier spiralizer (which I did) . I am hoping it will be a good quality and worth the money as compared to the little gadgets I purchased for this and found they were less than for acutal use.

Trusted Contributor

I got my baby KA for under $250, which is reasonable compared to the bigger models. I've made a few things with it now, and I really love it. Of course, I've never had a stand mixer at all before, so it's not just an upgrade but a whole new addition to my capabilities. Mashed potatoes by hand are a lot of work. Creaming butter and suger--forget about it. I just didn't do things like that! Now I'm thinking of making butter out of cream. Anybody ever do that?

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I'm so sorry, but I wracked my brain, and even though I've had my mixer since 1980, I can't think of a single non- dessert item that I made with it.

Me either. I mean, bread but I actually use a different mixer that's more heavy duty for bread making. 

My mom makes mashed potatoes in hers but frankly I hate them blended in a mixer and if you use russets they're prone to getting gummy. So I don't recommend. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: New Toy. Now What?

[ Edited ]

@froggy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

What's a "baby" KitchenAid mixer?

I think it's the new 3.5 qt size. I bought it also (it's so cute!) because my 7 qt size is perfect for large batches of yeast dough but too big just for a cake mix or some whipped cream. The small one is great for those items and easier to clean and move around.

You can use the 3.5 qt bowl with the full size tilt head models, I have one for my Artisan. Not sure if they make them for the lift mixers or not. I rarely use that bowl though, because it's too low and flared that you can't fill it much or things go flying out. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

I got my baby KA for under $250, which is reasonable compared to the bigger models. I've made a few things with it now, and I really love it. Of course, I've never had a stand mixer at all before, so it's not just an upgrade but a whole new addition to my capabilities. Mashed potatoes by hand are a lot of work. Creaming butter and suger--forget about it. I just didn't do things like that! Now I'm thinking of making butter out of cream. Anybody ever do that?

I have, but not in my KA mixer. It'd faster and easier in a food processor or Vitamix. 

Esteemed Contributor

Here are a few non sweet items that I use my Kitchenaid mixer for;

Mashed potatoes

mixing meatloaf /meatballs

kneeding dough

mixing fillings for perogies, calzones, eggroles

babyfood---

applesauce

stuffing

Hope this gets you started.