Honored Contributor

Re: New Mandoline is Interesting!

@Free2be wrote:

The Dash company has a model that looks to be identical but costs nearly $20 more but at least it's available if anyone wants it bad enough.  I chuckled to myself that perhaps the Dash company saw that their price was so severely being undercut that they complained to QVC to "immediately cease and desist" which was what caused the sudden sell out.  J/K Smiley Happy

That's interesting.  I thought Dash usually did cheaper items.  I did a G Search.  It does look to be identical assuming it has the dicing settings and not just slicing.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be and @Icegoddess - I'd bet good money that the Dash and GZ mandolines are absolutely identical; the same overseas company sells gadgets and appliances like these under a variety of brand names. For example, if you own one of those little electric egg cookers, the ones from Dash, MCM, Cooks Essentials, and Yes Chef are all exactly the same—the only variation is the logo/name on the unit.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon has one very similar or the same as GZ's.  Probably cheaper, too.

ETA-- I was wrong.  Amazon does have similar, but are more expensive. 

Respected Contributor

@Monketoes I thought  that mandolin looked very nice ,but I was concern the spring would wear out or it would  be difficult on your palm.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox My problem that it's difficult for me to stand for a long time and cook. And that mandolin would have to be used on a firm surface, and I usually prep on my table that the Q sell simular to a tv table, and that wouldn't work very well.

Respected Contributor

@Monketoes Yes the mandolin  G.Z. sold out.

Trusted Contributor

@Monketoes  My husband has this Mandoline and loves how much better this is than our regular one, he said he feels safer using GZ's.

Respected Contributor

Reporting back for anyone who might take a chance when the supply is replenished, it did a fantastic job on mushrooms sliced for a sauce.  I tried slicing a single clove of garlic without high expectations.  It sliced it fine but the very last vestiges hung up at the last cut, not a big deal and there was no point in trying to send the slices through again to dice them.  For a bunch at a time, it would work better.  It sliced a shallot beautifully, I finished mincing it with a knife.

It is very sturdy, didn't move around at all, cleaned up easy.  I was thrilled how fast and easy it cut those mushrooms and perfectly because I turned them sideways and they stayed that way on their way down to the blade.