Valued Contributor

New Mandoline is Interesting!

So I bought it, even tho I didn't need another one  LOL

It does look like it might be a real improvement tho!

Monke~

Super Contributor

Re: New Mandoline is Interesting!

I ordered it, but now I am thinking...I have a really nice food processor with the blade discs. Do I REALLY need a mandolin for anything?

Valued Contributor

me too, but these are easier to get out and use and clean

I hope I like it

Monke~

Esteemed Contributor

@Monketoes  I am very interested in it as well, but I'll wait to see what other people think. My problem with mandolines is that they take up so much space/storage, are difficult to assemble and reassemable after washing, and are confusing to operate. I have the Oxo, which I almost never use because it is so complicated with all the different blades, and I have a Food Network hand-held that is good for quick, small tasks. Looking for that perfect machine.

Honored Contributor

Not sure which Mandoline is being discussed here.   I find them easier to get out to use than a food processor and a LOT easier to clean.  I have the Genius one (no longer sold) that has the adjustible blades along with vertical blades that also adjust up or down so you can julienne or even dice without changing out any blades.  

The only problem I have had with it has been the knobs that do the adjusting has needed some oil to keep them adjustable. 

Valued Contributor

Zakarian's   It sold out I think

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess - I have that Genius mandoline as well and love it! I use it about once a week but rarely find a need for the julienne blades. I also have an older version of the Genius mandoline that was a set of one large and one small; the small one gets a ton of use in the summer when all the great zucchini is available because its widest setting is perfect for quickly slicing coins and the gadget takes up so little room and is so easy to clean.

I've closely watched the presentations of the GZ mandoline, but I just don't think there's much improvement in functionality for the asking price. It seems a bit awkward, too.

Valued Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Icegoddess - I have that Genius mandoline as well and love it! I use it about once a week but rarely find a need for the julienne blades. I also have an older version of the Genius mandoline that was a set of one large and one small; the small one gets a ton of use in the summer when all the great zucchini is available because its widest setting is perfect for quickly slicing coins and the gadget takes up so little room and is so easy to clean.

I've closely watched the presentations of the GZ mandoline, but I just don't think there's much improvement in functionality for the asking price. It seems a bit awkward, too.

I have these also and love them too

Monke~

Honored Contributor

@Monketoes wrote:

Zakarian's   It sold out I think

Ah, ok, I saw that when he premiered it.  Didn't like the design at all.  You have to cut the food to fit in the chute.  That was always my problem with food processors for slicing.  

The premiere did not demo dicing, so either he has updated it or they just didn't get to it.  You also can't do long slices which would include a julienne cut or a french fry cut that I can see.  

I have a terrible fear of knives and slicing, but I have never been afraid of a mandolin.  I always make sure to use the hand guard and it also allows you to cut all the way to the bottom, so no waste there either.  

Respected Contributor

Although my food processor is on the counter ready to go, I ordered the Zakarian model for quick and smaller jobs.  He made it look effortless.  I have other choppers that chop into bowls and don't use them, too many pieces, too large to bother for quick work.  This one looks more useable for daily run of the mill dinner prep.  I liked the simplicity in the design.