Trusted Contributor

Need some party advice, please!

We're having DH's relatives for a cookout/bbq next Sunday. There will be 12 people including me and DH.  I can handle a dinner party for 6 people no sweat.  But have never done this many folks for a meal by myself.

We'll be having pulled pork and grilled chicken for the mains.  All of my go to recipes for sides are for 6 people.  First, how many should I make and second, do I double EACH one?  That seems excessive as I don't want a lot of leftovers.  

Advice please?

Honored Contributor

Re: Need some party advice, please!

Are the visitors from in town or staying with family/friends or are they all staying in hotels? I ask because if it were me, I'd make enough of everything for all 12 people and then buy some recyclable plastic containers and send everyone away with leftovers. The leftovers idea won't work well if they're staying in a hotel and have no access to refrigeration.

Honored Contributor

How many side dishes are you thinking of making?

5 or 6 side dishes would certainly be enough...

could be an opportunity to try something new as well as the old tried and trues,

could do a big green salad, easy to do if you (like me live near a Costco type store.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chynna

I like that take away idea.  Most of them will be returning home after the party, so take home portions would work well.  

Do you really think 5 or 6 sides?  My thought was to limit my work (and ingredient shopping) and double three.  Less choice, but keeps the prep viable for just one person.

Also, saw a great cole slaw recipe that calls for maple syrup and buttermilk dressing - does that 'fit' with pulled pork?  My cooking sense is saying yes, but I'd like opinions here as my experience with making cole slaw is limited.  I think I've done it once in my life. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammijo10 wrote:

@Chynna

I like that take away idea.  Most of them will be returning home after the party, so take home portions would work well.  

Do you really think 5 or 6 sides?  My thought was to limit my work (and ingredient shopping) and double three.  Less choice, but keeps the prep viable for just one person.

Also, saw a great cole slaw recipe that calls for maple syrup and buttermilk dressing - does that 'fit' with pulled pork?  My cooking sense is saying yes, but I'd like opinions here as my experience with making cole slaw is limited.  I think I've done it once in my life. 

I like the cole slaw idea with the pulled pork. I've seen a lot of people even put the coleslaw on top of the pulled pork in their sandwich. 

Respected Contributor

Wow. We have around 20 for a normal family dinner without my uncle's crew coming in from Atlanta. We will have two meats, 5 or 6 veggies, and 3 desserts or so. We usually have a bread as well. Now these are not family size pots, these are our family size pots, so not like you would cook for 3 or 4 people, but big southern pots of food. We generally can feed two dozen people with large plates and have leftovers to take to family that can't get out to come. Christmas and Thanksgiving are usually bigger.
Honored Contributor

I don't think people eat as much as they used to, so I'd do a finger food raw veggies tray and a potato salad. Could do a large bowl of chips too. Make it fun, not a big job. Easy cleanup and talk, laugh and enjoy them. Even some brownies if you think they'll want a sweet/dessert.

Respected Contributor

We are having a party also on Sunday with about 12-13 people. It's not a sit down dinner, but a cookout. Will have steak tips, dogs and burgers with 3 sides. Taco salad that is always requested, potatoe salad and home made mac and cheese. We have this birthday party every year with the same number of guests and I still have some left over sides with only three sides. I put out a veggie tray w/dip and usually a fruit salad to munch on first. I found that I use to have too much food in the past. I don't like dealing with left overs either. People are eatting less now and many are on diets. Your main dishes sound delicious, but I would go with just 3 sides. Have fun and enjoy your company.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Tigriss, your family celebrations must go on for days with all that food!  Doodles, I think you've convinced me to do three sides that can be served room temp along with veggies and some chips and salsa to munch. Right now I'm thinking baked beans, cole slaw, and a pesto green bean potato salad should do the trick. Watermelon and cookies or cupcakes followed by s'mores. 

Respected Contributor

That sounds perfect. I bet you still will have some leftovers like I do. Have fun!!!