Regular Contributor

I was making a smoothie with my Vitamix I purchased from QVC in Jan. 2012.  It started smoking from the base and smelled horrible.  I turned it off and unplugged it.  I called Vitamix today and thank goodness it is still in the 5 year warranty.  So they are paying shipping both ways and fixing or replacing.  Here is my delema....By Jan. 23, if I want an additional 3 year warranty, I need to pony up $120.  If it breaks again and I have no warranty, it costs me shipping and repairs.  And then in 3 more years, another who knows how much for a warranty and so on.  What would you do?

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry!  I would die if mine broke that quick.  Smiley Sad

I personally would put the $120 towards a new machine, if necessary.  If it breaks a second time, I wouldn't want it in my kitchen anymore and would go with a newer, hopefully more reliable, model.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy an extended warranty. That's just me. Mine is older than yours and I haven't had any issues with it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

The most Vitamix charges for an out of warranty repair is $169. I don't think that difference is worth buying the warranty. If the same issue reoccurs I think Viamix would fix it again at no charge or reduced charge.

Honored Contributor

I never buy extended warranties either.  If I've had that much trouble during the original warranty period (as with my frig and dishwasher)  I just replace them.  Ironically the Maytag people have straightened out the frig problems in my new one (I loved the configuration).  The dishwasher was so bad I replaced it with GE.  Now I'm sorry because when the Maytag was working it was fabulous.  Everything came out spotless, dried on gunk and all.