Occasional Contributor

Need Help with Electrc Range

Need help with picking a new glass top electric range. I do a lot of baking so good temp control really important.  Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Regular Contributor

Re: Need Help with Electrc Range

I purchased a GE glass top about 3 years ago.  It was to replace a Jenn Air.  I also bake alot so having a good range is crucial.  I needed a slide in.  It has 4 burners plus a warming spot which works great for hot water when I have a lot of women over on Wednesday mornings.  It keeps the water hot for tea.  The burners heat water for pasta in record time.  The front right burner has 3 gradualted sizes so you don't have a burner larger than the cookware which is not good on glass tops.  The oven does not have an exposed element on the bottom.  It also has 3 racks.  It works very well.  Periodically I put an oven thermometer in it to check the heat and it is always accurate.  It also has a steam clean feature should something run over. 

The best part was the price.  I had been watching this range for several months.  It was on sale just before Thanksgiving.  The price was nearly 50% OFF.  This was a factory promotion because all of the stores were running the same pricing.  I paid just over $800 dollars for it.  It by far outperforms the Jenn Air. It was middle of the range with features, but I would never use some of the features available on high end  appliances.  Besides, my experience has shown that is what always breaks.  I don't think the exact model is available any more, but there are a number of similar GE models. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We bought a new electric range with glass cooktop 2 years ago, and we love it.  

It's GE model JB645DKWW

Bought at Home Depot

$519 today's price

I do a lot of baking, and a steady, reliable oven temperature and a spacious oven were my priorities. 

I decided that I didn't want a convection oven option. It costs more, and I didn't think I wouldn't use it. It means having a fan at the back of the oven which takes up space. We went for a model with a single, large oven. I really like the large window on this one. (You might want different features than me, though!)

The cooktop on this model is very nice. It has two Super Burners that bring water to a boil very fast, and 2 smaller burners.  

This range has over 500 reviews on the Home Depot site and they're almost all 5 stars.

GE 30 in. 5.3 cu. ft. Free-Standing Electric Range with Self-Cleaning Oven in White

I'm not a fan of all GE appliances. I don't have a GE washer or dishwasher.

However, they make extremely reliable ranges, ovens and cooktops. My last range (over 20 years old) was a GE and I loved that one, too. This one is even better. 

Happy hunting! I hope you find a range you love. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a Jenn-Air electric range top that I'm pretty happy with, have had it about three years, my oven is a Frigidaire built in, and like it alot.  I bake alot more than I cook.

Honored Contributor

My daughter had a bad experience with her three year old Samsung this week.  The electricals in the knob area caught fire.  It was three years old and it is being replaced with a GE.

So cross Samsung off your list.  The appliance person told her there are many electrical issues with that brand.

Esteemed Contributor

I just did a whole bunch of comparison shopping for glasstop electric ranges, and I agree with the other posters here—unless you need/want something fancy, go with GE. Even at places like Lowe's and Home Depot, there are several models to choose from, so you can pick the one that fits your budget and specifications. This is my first "brand new" range purchase, and I knew I wanted a specific color, but I never thought I'd care so much about the knob style, burner sizes and arrangement, oven door window size, and cleaning and convection options. Smiley Happy

Good luck with your decision!

Regular Contributor

I recently moved and updated all my appliances.. I went with LG and bought the whole bundle.  From day 1, I've had a problem with the electric range.  The oven temp was never right.  I tried to fix it using the directions in the user manual.  No luck.

On Oct 2, I called LG to have a repair person come out and fix the problem.  They know it's a problem because one of the choices on the LG answer menu is about the stove.  To make a very long story short - It's now Oct 27 and MAYBE a repair person will be here on Nov 1. 

LG did not have a repair person in my area, they told me.  It took them that long to find somebody.  I could have had a Sears repair person out to my house in a day but I would have to pay them up front.  In my initial phone call to them, they inverted the serial number - that took a week to figure out.  Never once did LG call me.  I made all the phone calls to find out what the heck was going on.

I never again would buy an LG appliance.  ALso, I would never again buy any appliance from a big box store.

Live and learn. 

Lesson learned for sure - the hard way.

Regular Contributor

Just bought a whirlpool glass top recently.  it functions really well on stove top and love the steam clean option for oven.  no exposed element on bottom of oven, instead a depression where you put water and then set for steam clean. works well!

Super Contributor

bunette, as the appliances that came with the house have died off, wehave  replaced them all with Kenmore Elite appliances and have been very pleased with all of them (glasstop range/stove, DW and fridge.)  Given poor Sears' heightened financial woes, you might find a sweet deal or two there.

peachesandcream, your stove and mine look like they could have been separated at birth LOL!  Ours does have the convection feature but TBH I rarely use it because I am too lazy to recalcuate baking times haha and thus have overcooked/overbaked when I have used it.  For me, convection cooking has been more successful using smaller appliances like countertop oven and air fryer anyhoo.