Esteemed Contributor

HSN This Day Only DASH Rapid Cold Brew

[ Edited ]

I LOVE cold brewed coffee.  I'm not familiar with the DASH brand.

I have something that makes cold brew already...but it takes 24 hours.  This DASH thing is 15 minutes.

Opinions, please?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Re: HSN This Day Only DASH Rapid Cold Brew

Finally my chance .. could you explain to me what cold brew is ...

I love coffee and see it in the store .. but don't know exactly what

it is ...

Thanks ...

Respected Contributor

I watched HSN's video.  The reason the Dash is fast is because it isn't making the coffee syrup that you get with a 24-hour drip/wait.  The Dash is extracting a down and dirty fast cold express from the ground beans.  I didn't see how much ground beans it took to get the amount of liquid they showed.

I have the Toddy system.  It's cheap, not pretty.  But wow, it makes a perfect syrup.  It's not true that you can get just as good of syrup with cheap ground beans.  Better beans, better syrup. I've been tempted to buy the Kitchenaid system but I'm reluctant to give up the space in my refrigerator.

Cold brew is a method that creates a concentrated coffee which you add either hot or cold water, milk, cream or ice as you please, to bring it up to a drinkable deliciousness.  It's perfect for acid-sensitive people.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie What @Free2be said. 

@Free2be I like that this makes coffee, not syrup. Then I can just pour without worrying about strength.  The video I watched...they used 2 cups grounds (any grind) for I think 50 oz. 

I got Primula at BB&B...like kitchen aid but smaller...fits in the door. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Thank you .. now I get it ....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hadn't heard of Primula, I went to YouTube and watched a blind taste test of 5 different gadgets to make cold brew, Primula and Toddy were both in the mix, OXO won.  Who knew there were so many and this was several years ago, all non electric.  Simple is good which is one reason I don't often make cold brew, a lot of weighing, grinding, measuring when I can make a cup or Joe or a latte in short order.  I do love the smooth low acidity, though.

@esmerelda, if you haven't already, read the Dash reviews at Amazon.  I only glanced at a couple but got the impression people who read the directions first were most satisfied with their purchase.

Honored Contributor

I bought the OXO after debating and reading the many reviews of SO MANY systems. It makes your head swim. After all that and the many taste tests  - OXO won so I went with it. 

The OXO system takes 24 hrs - uses 10 ounces of coffee grounds and 40 ounces of water. I get about 22 ounces after extraction. Recipe calls for 2ounces of concentrate with 6-8 oumces of water + millk/cream etc.

I use 8 ounces since I don't drink really strong coffee. The coffee is smooth and wonderful and mostly drink it hot. Yes, the amount of coffee grounds used is a lot and I repurpose it for the garden. Veggies like it.

I have not come across the DASH brand during my research

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey @Free2be I had the OXO and didn’t like it. Maybe the concentrate was good, but I found the unit to be too much...awkward, parts took up too much room when not making the concentrate. 

I’ve been buying Starbucks cold brew (black) at the store. I did order the DASH product because over time it will be less expensive than Starbucks. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda

How many gadgets do you have for cold brew? You mentioned you already own a  Primula and Oxo.

My first choice was something easy and fits in the door - Primula and Takeya.  Then should I get a French Press which can make cold brew - Mason Jar etc.

I agree the Oxo is cumbersome and even though it is stacked when not in use - it is big. There is a dedicated spot when it is in use on the table. And yes, you have to plan ahead. Since I'm the only one that drinks the coffee - I won't run out bc someone swiped some. I hope you will liike your new unit.

Esteemed Contributor

@YahooeyI returned the OXO.

Keepin' it real.