Honored Contributor

NOT bashing Temptations BUT why????

[ Edited ]

I had to clean out my hutch and storage cabinet for my flooring project.

Now I know I NEVER bake or put in dishwasher any of my pieces.

I'm putting them away now that project is done grouping them better.  I noticed many of my FL pieces have crazing -- mostly on my FL red pieces!  I have used them to serve of course and handwashed.

I'm annoyed ... even won't trust them to use as serving pieces.

What do you think- Could it be possible since the FL are not glazed in the "lace" portion the water permeates the stoneware and causes crazing?

Just a thought!  I'm tossing them tomorrow but still annoyed! Like the foodsaver person always says "Ca$h in the TRASH!" 

Respected Contributor

Re: NOT bashing Temptations BUT why????

what's FL?

Respected Contributor

I don't have a problem with mine and I've had some for a long time.  I collect FL blue.  I have read here that people have problems and always wonder why.  Maybe it's with the stacking in the cupboard.  I do stack mine and they get knocked around when I put them away sometimes.  But I use them for baking/cooking and serving.  

Respected Contributor

I haven’t bought for a few years, but my older pieces no, but the last fireworks set, my 8x8 and my 9x13 both crazed.  No old confetti, no old red polka dots.  I don’t put them in the dishwasher  and I don’t immerse them and soak.  Who knows. I won’t be purchasing anymore.  My favorite pieces are the platters and bread basket shapes.  I have a few confetti pie plates, used a lot, not one bit of crazing.  I use them often for casseroles, pies, quiches, and desserts.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb wrote:

what's FL?

Floral Lace

Respected Contributor

@amyb   floral lace

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had problems with other stoneware lines crazing after washing them in the diswasher - even the pieces that say dishwasher safe . I recently bought  some small decorative Temptations   loaf pans , howver  I hand wash them along with all my other brands of stone ware.

I had a Potter tell me that crazing is because the item was not  fired properly- problem in making it  so high heats from diswasher  or placing a very cold stoneware pan directly into a hot oven can cause the crazing .

digitalfire.com/article/crazing+in+stoneware+glazes%3A+treating+the+causes%2C+not+the+symptoms

Respected Contributor

I don't buy dishware or bakeware that I have to baby, e.g., not putting them in the dishwasher. For baking I use Polish Stoneware or Pyrex. Of course I don't put non-stick type cookware in the dw, but those things are easy to wash.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  My oldest Temp-tations, especially the bakers that I use regularly, are crazed. I still use them. Stoneware is going to craze.My grandmother's stoneware is crazed.

Honored Contributor

I never thought that yes I stack them -- so maybe I need to take more care!

Although, I have many other brands of stoneware (Fiesta, Food Network, Rachael Ray) and none of them have crazed after many years.  I stack them too.

Again, wasn't bashing was just wondering perhaps the Floral Lace isn't as sturdy as the OW I've only had 1-2 pieces experience crazing or breakage.

Thank you for suggestions and replies --