Honored Contributor

Re: NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR AN EASY BREADMAKER?

@HLP wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

No question the best are the Zojirushi machines, especially the two newest models.  They aren't cheap but they are excellent, reliable and make great bread of many kinds.

I can say this because we got a Hitachi bread maker in 1992, and since had a breadman and a Cuisinart (stil have it, and it is a good machine, but not like the Zojirushi!).  I had earlier models of the Zojirushi and they are great, but the latest ones are really superior to them too.

I agree, have one too. Had a DAK for years but company went out of buisness, and I needed a new pan. Also have a Zojirushi rice cooker, it's the best. 

@HLP Did you have the DAK that looked like R2D2?  With the glass dome?  Those were SOOO cute!  I always wished I'd had one.  

I knew a couple that did and they made lots and lots of orange bread loaves in R2!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

i LOVE bread!!  I was thinking about tryng a breadmaker, watching some videos on the ones that QVC sells, but they have mixed reviews.

Can someone suggest an EASY breadmaker for a first timer?

they are all easy, just chuck in and push a button,  go by size depending on yr needs and cost how much do you want to spend

Honored Contributor

The easiest bread maker is you. Breadmaking is pretty easy in general. Bread machines tend to have multiple settings that you have to sort through (type of bread, size of loaf, etc.) Unless you only use packaged mixes there's not that much of a difference between making it yourself or using a machine. You've still got to measure all of the ingredients properly. Once everything's measured out properly and combined, you just knead it for a bit, then let it rest. Then knock it down, give it a quick knead again, shape it, let it rise once more, then bake it.

People have been making bread since the dawn of mankind, so it's not rocket science. The advantage of doing it yourself is you can feel the bread as you're working it. Bread machines can't feel the dough as they're working with it. If you added too much, or not enough water, the machine won't know. It'll just do what it does and you can end up with a bad finished result. If the dough rises too fast or too slow in the bread machine, the machine won't know. It'll just do what it's programmed to do. When you make bread yourself, you feel the dough. You can feel if it's too wet, too dry, rising too fast, or not fast enough. 

Kneading dough is a good way to work out your frustrations with the world. Bread dough is something you can punch and bully and it'll only get better for it. Kneading is pretty easy. The classic knead is to roll the dough towards you then push down and away on it hard. Rotate it ninety degrees and repeat. Others pick it up and whack it down on the counter to knead it. Kneading dough is one of the few things in life you can do to vent whatever anger/frustration you're feeling and end up improving the dough. If you don't like to knead bread there are countless no-knead recipes out there these days. 

Bread machines can be handy and the Zo are reportedly great machines, but if you're looking for the easiest, most reliable way to make bread, you don't really need to look farther than your own hands. They're all you truly need to make great bread.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@qvc chick   I have a cuisinart.  I love it, its easy to use, and compact.  I got it from Williams Sonoma, but they are sold from many retailers.  I had to wait about 3 months (ordered back in 2020), but am very happy with it.

img53o.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

I have a Cuisinart Compact Automatic Bread Maker CBK-110.  Great machine.  

Honored Contributor

You can get very pricey ones and some that are not so pricey; they do much the same despite the bells and whistles on the upper end models------I've had 3 in my history--got one of the first brands that came out with these  in the 90's..  then I got a cheap Bella one from Macys and that was the best one I had-- think I gave it away as it was gathering dust and space to store--now I have an Oster that I bought as the pandemic thing started and it is fine---no bells and whistles but it does a good job--I mostly do the bread but have made jam in it to--that was fun---Mine bakes 1 and 2 lb loaves in a rectangular shape-----for me and DD, a 1 lb loaf is fine.

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman Of course you must know that you are a bit of a poet!

I loved reading what you wrote here!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@qvc chick   I have a cuisinart.  I love it, its easy to use, and compact.  I got it from Williams Sonoma, but they are sold from many retailers.  I had to wait about 3 months (ordered back in 2020), but am very happy with it.

img53o.jpg

@CAcableGirl2 That is a very good machine!  I have one that was almost free from Williams-Sonoma once, and use it sometimes!  It's a good choice.

AND TO ALL interested in bread machines:  There is absolutely nothing complicated about any bread machine I've ever used.  Nothing about it is hard.  Look at the recipe book that comes with it and do what it says.  Lots of good machines to select from too all price ranges.

Measure liquid, flour, salt, sugar, maybe butter and or oil, and yeast and put in the amounts called for in the order it says in the book. It will tell you which button to push.

Push the button and the first few times peek in after a few minutes if you want to see if the dough is too wet or dry.  I often don't do this.

The advantages?  No messy counter, no kneading dough and wondering if you are doing it right or enough.  No dirty bowl and counter top.  No flour everywhere to clean up.  And no watching the clock!  The machine takes care of everything.

You have hot bread and you know what went into it!  No shame in using a bread machine at all.  Do you take your clothes to the river and beat them on the rocks?  Woman LOL  No you don't!  Do you?  Woman Embarassed

There are lots of good videos on the internet.  You can measure or weigh ingredients--both are fine.  

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick There is a new review out from Cooks Illustrated that was published in December of 2021 rating best bread machines.  It is interesting

As a note, the Cuisinart model they don't like is not the one that is mentioned above by me and another poster. 

I had way better luck with the Virtuoso Plus Zo than the Supreme, and am puzzled at why they think one is more complicated than the other, but that's them not me!  LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

Breadman, hard at work.  In about an hour I'll have a slice.

Smells great in here!

IMG_0141.jpeg

Cogito ergo sum