Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@KingstonsMom  I thought the same thing too! 

@LuvmyLab 

I know right?

I was thinking 'you go girl @CrazyKittyLvr2,' ROCK those pasties! LOL! LOL!

@KingstonsMom   Holy moley, that is one thing the public would not want to see.  Even a peeping Tom would tell me to close my blinds.

Honored Contributor

I make these using a couple cups of leftover beef stew and Pillsbury pie dough:

2 tbsp butter

1 onion, chopped

1/2 lb ground pork

1/4 cup flour

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp allspice

2 cups beef stew

1 cup beef broth

2 9" refrigerated pie dough rounds

Cook onion in melted butter in big skillet until softened.  Stir in pork until browned.  Stir in flour, thyme, and allspice.  Stir in stew and broth until broth evaporates.  Pour into big bowl and coarsely mash with potato masher.  Let cool.

Cut each round of dough in half.  Spoon 1/4 of stew filling onto left side of each piece of dough, leaving 1" border at edges.  Brush edges of dough with water, fold over filling, and crimp edges to seal.  Set on parchment-lined baking sheet.  Cut 3 venting holes in top of each pastie.  Bake at 450 degrees until dough is golden brown, about 25 minutes.  Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.    

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 - For a recipe, try YouTube Channel 'Kitchen Sanctuary' - "Homemade Cornish Pasties". I love her cooking channel.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , I just googled Pasties and there are many recipes. They sound delicious.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@nana59 No, not another name cuz that is the official name!  They are great if you get a good one.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@KingstonsMom  I thought the same thing too! 

@LuvmyLab 

I know right?

I was thinking 'you go girl @CrazyKittyLvr2,' ROCK those pasties! LOL! LOL!

@KingstonsMom   Holy moley, that is one thing the public would not want to see.  Even a peeping Tom would tell me to close my blinds.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Believe me, my peeping Tom would run away from my window screaming, "My eyes, my eyes!"

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Authentic pastys are made with lard, which I swore off of 40 years ago.  Seeing these made with pre-made pie dough is something I've never thought of.  I may actually make my first pasty.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

They are a staple in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  They are so good.  In Michigan we don't consider them a real Pasty if they don't contain Rutabaga.  Uppers eat them with Ketchup but many of us cover or dip them with gravy.

Edited comment - when talking about 1 its a Pasty not Pastie.

@mimomof4 I had a beloved friend raised in the UP!  He made them often and brought them to work and he would laugh and say it's not a pasty if it didn't have a "rutabagee" as he pronounced it!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@nana59 No, not another name cuz that is the official name!  They are great if you get a good one.

okay.....think i'll ask my husband if he wants pasties for dinner! lol.....

Esteemed Contributor

Ok, I'm confused.  I Googled the word pastie before I posted and saw pictures of what I had for dinner and lunch.I wanted the correct spelling.

I didn't want it confused with stripper gear.

Now I see pasty.

Which is it?