Esteemed Contributor

A co-worker of DD's asked if we wanted to order pasties her church was making.

She delivered them yesterday to DD and we had them last night.  They had ground beef, diced potatoes and onion.  The crust was beyond wonderful.

I knew they were hand held meat pies, but they must have thought they were for Paul Bunyon's  hand.  They were huge.  I got through 1/2 last night and just had the other half for lunch.

We did them in the air crisper of the Ninja for 6 or 8 minutes until heated through.

I need to find a recipe for these little bundles of goodness.

Honored Contributor

LOL! Oh lord help me!

When I read this thread title I immediatedly thought it was about 'pasties' that strippers wear!!

I'm really losing it!

837514213.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I thought the same thing too! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: My First Pastie, Ever.

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Wow. This sounds really good. I admit I had to google. My thoughts went elsewhere when Isaw the title of your post.

Spoiler
yikes I thought iit was ****** covers lol.

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

@KingstonsMom  I thought the same thing too! 

@LuvmyLab 

I know right?

I was thinking 'you go girl @CrazyKittyLvr2,' ROCK those pasties! LOL! LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I don't have a recipe but I had them in Australia and loved them. 

Esteemed Contributor

maybe you could call them by a different name!!  lol......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

LOL! Oh lord help me!

When I read this thread title I immediatedly thought it was about 'pasties' that strippers wear!!

I'm really losing it!

837514213.gif

I guess we're all losing it😄

Though I also know what the other ones are and they are good! (I mean the kind from the kitchen lol!) I believe they originated in England.

I often read about them in British mysteries when they stop at a pup and order one.

It did become very popular in Michigan as someone else said.

It seems there are many versions of this in different parts-like calzone, empanada, etc. though I know fans of any of these know there is a difference!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

They are a staple in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  They are so good.  In Michigan we don't consider them a real Pasty if they don't contain Rutabaga.  Uppers eat them with Ketchup but many of us cover or dip them with gravy.

Edited comment - when talking about 1 its a Pasty not Pastie.

Respected Contributor

This post is no different than the "Hummer" one....I thought someone was thinking about buying the new $100,000 Hummer vehicle.

So what makes this post funnier is you have a "Retired" OP'r and she finally  got her 1st pastie.   So what took you so long?

These are not easy to make, the dough needs TLC to keep it tender, the filling takes time to put together and by the time you are done and how many it makes, you are better off finding out who made those and order more.   You can also find them in the freezer section in the grocery store but you will be disappointed with the mass produced product.