Honored Contributor

MILAN — Americans who appreciate the tang of aged Italian Parmesan cheese as an aperitif or atop their favorite pasta dish are stocking up ahead of next week’s tariff hike and as dairy producers in the two countries square off.

The Italian agricultural lobby Coldiretti said Friday that sales of both Parmigiano Reggiano and Grana Padano, aged cheeses with a distinctive granular quality that are defined by their territory of origin, have skyrocketed in the United States by 220% since the higher tariffs were announced a week ago.

The new tariffs — up from $2.15 per kilogram (2.2 pounds) to about $6 per kilogram — take effect Friday. Parmesan cheese is on a long list of EU products that will be hit by retaliatory tariffs approved by the World Trade Organization for illegal EU subsidies to aviation giant Airbus.

Time to stock up!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, Thank you!  I had completely forgotten about the quality cheese!  While I don’t use much of it, I will be stocking up.  Now I’m wondering what else I haven’t thought of.  I don’t drink, but my DH does have a glass of wine at night, per his cardiologist.  Oh boy, he does like German beer once in a while.  I wonder how long this game is going to last.  I can bet retailers won’t be happy during the holiday season.