Esteemed Contributor

I've always loved my mother's molasses cookies.  Hers were like yours except she made a light white icing.

YUM!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Molasses Cookies today

[ Edited ]

Molasses Cookie Recipe

I use my 6 qt. Kitchen Aid mixer
24-36 cookies in a single batch-depending on size you want

Ingredients:

2 1/4 heaping cups of flour-Sifted

1/2 tsp. Salt

1/2-1 tsp.Ginger-1/2 is enough if the Ginger is new

1 tsp. Cinnamon 

2 tsp. Baking Soda

2/3 cup Crisco (solid)

1/2 cup Dark Molasses

2/3 cup of Brown Sugar

1/2 cup Warm Water

1 egg

2-4 cups raisins (in the recipe I make)

Mix all ingredients together except the flour. Add the flour 1 cup at a time and mix well. Drop by Tbsp. full on greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar.

I use AirBake cookies sheets with spray Pam on it and it works great. They will continue to cook a few minutes after coming out. I still do a test cookie when I start.

Since I have made these I always have to make a double batch for my grown children and grandchildren.

Valued Contributor

@SharkE when my kids were younger  we always made chocolate chip cookies on Christmas Eve.  As they got older they did more of the cooking.  One year they added cayenne pepper to the cookies.  Santa did not prefer those to to the traditional recipe.

@deepwaterdotter i look forward to trying your recipe.  thanks.  

Esteemed Contributor

They look delicious! They are my most absolute favorite cookie ever! Well done! 👍🏻

Trusted Contributor

I have a very similar recipe that also includes 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, but no pepper.  I'll have to try adding that.

I flatten them a bit before baking as I prefer a crispy cookie.

Honored Contributor

Nabisco started making butter toffee oreo's those are great.

Honored Contributor

They look beautiful!  I don't remember ever tasting a molasses cookie!

Valued Contributor

@SharkE - I've never understood why people won't share a recipe, or keep something secret. If I have a recipe that's good, I always share if people ask. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14 

I have never met a cookie I didn't like and yours look delicious. I can smell them from here and I need one. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will have to try these this fall for my grandbabies. Ok...maybe for me too!

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I want the inside track. If everybody makes everything alike nobody can be the best.

LOL