Respected Contributor

13C79F4B-BD65-441B-B1FD-1DEC5B57DDFD.jpeg

All my family loves my Molasses Cookies. I just made 56 and they will be gone in a few days. My son wanted some for tomorrow as he is visiting for a while. My other kids will get the next batch. This recipe I have made since I was 12 years old and won a prize for them. $2.00 Ha!

Honored Contributor

like mine flatter

Respected Contributor

Those look great! 

Respected Contributor

You can adjust the thickness of the cookies by the thickness of the batter. I have made them so much but I always check my recipe to be sure I am perfect on what my family likes.
I learned years ago watch the cinnamon and the ginger IF they are new!  I always put half of these in if new and adjust from there.

These are soft and delicious and my kids and grandchildren want that extra sugar on top. I am happy with no sugar on them.

I have one of my sons that has to have as many raisins in it as much as the batter. 

Trusted Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

13C79F4B-BD65-441B-B1FD-1DEC5B57DDFD.jpeg

All my family loves my Molasses Cookies. I just made 56 and they will be gone in a few days. My son wanted some for tomorrow as he is visiting for a while. My other kids will get the next batch. This recipe I have made since I was 12 years old and won a prize for them. $2.00 Ha!

Would you care to share the recipe? 😁

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

The thicker, the better, in my opinion. Those are perfect! I'm sure your family will enjoy them. You're so nice to do that. 

Respected Contributor

Those look amazing!  Wish I could have one right now with my cup of coffee! Yum!

Honored Contributor

Re: Molasses Cookies today

[ Edited ]

I make my grandma's recipe for molasses cookies.  She used to dip her hands in a bowl of cool water while rolling the dough into balls to keep it from sticking to her hands.  They are supposed to appear a bit underbaked when first out of oven to keep them chewy:

1/3 cup sugar

2 1/4 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp salt

12 tbsp softened butter

1/3 cup dark brown sugar

1 egg yolk

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup molasses

Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, pepper, and salt in bowl.

In another bowl, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar with electric mixer until fluffy. 

Slowly beat in egg yolk and vanilla.  Slowly beat in molasses.  Stir in flour mixture to form soft dough.

Pour 1/2 cup sugar into a pie dish.

Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls between wet palms, then roll around to cover in dish of sugar.

Place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheet. 

Bake in 375 degree oven until edges begin to set, but centers appear cracked and underdone, about 11 minutes.

Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes.  Finish cooling on wire rack.  

Honored Contributor

shoot ! you gave away the secret ingredient. Pepper.  I've kept that a secret forever. Certain kind of pepper , but, not telling.   LOL

Honored Contributor

ball of dough is fine, but, crisscross across both ways with tines of a fork to flatten out a little.

Just sayin' LOL