Respected Contributor

Just purchased a bottle of coke from Mexico at a local restaurant for lunch and it is made with real sugar as opposed to corn syrup. Why dont the American bottlers follow suit? Ive been reading up on a lot of nasty things about corn syrup. I am especially worried that a lot of our corn is becoming genetically modified. Im limiting the amount of corn syrup I consume and searching for healthier options.

Honored Contributor

Pepsi makes Throwback that is made with real sugar. That is the only Pepsi I drink.

Regular Contributor

I really wish they would - kosher coke also uses sugar, not HFC.

Super Contributor

ITA, Reever! You'd think w/ all the hoopla over high fructose corn syrups, etc., that the soda companies would sit up & take notice. They carry Mexican Coke in the ethnic food aisle of my grocery store - in glass bottles, no less!

As a point of interest, I recently read where the Mexican Coke sold in Mexico will now be made w/ the dreaded HFCS, but the Coke they sell here will be made w/ sugar.

Here's why:

Executives at Coca-Cola in Latin America decided to make the switch after the Mexican government approved a tax of one peso on every liter of soda sold. To be fair, the tax is in place to help curb obesity in a country where more than 70 percent of people are overweight. But to maintain profits and avoid having to raise the price on a can of soda, Coke execs decided this devastating change was in order.

Honored Contributor
On 2/8/2014 waterdragon said:

I really wish they would - kosher coke also uses sugar, not HFC.

I think that may only happen during Passover. Corn is not allowed to be consumed during Passover.

Honored Contributor

some of our local grocery stores have been selling the mexican coke, sprite, and fanta orange in the tall bottles. i do buy them sometimes.....love the taste. i can usually find the mexican coke at sams club.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Years ago when we traveled over Europe the Coke was served in the small bottles and tasted like it did when I was a child (I'm 67).

Honored Contributor

In Atlanta there is huge exhibit called The World of Coke, great tour. they give you samples of Coke sold over all the world, some taste terrible, very bitter.

Trusted Contributor
They sell it by the case at Costco. It's almost always in stock. It's pricey.
*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Trusted Contributor

First of all, the "hoopla" over HFCS is amongst people with a lack of understanding of (it breaks down into the body the same way). Corn syrup and HFCS are two separate things, by the way.

The reason HFCS came to be used in the U.S is because it saves money (it is sweeter than sugar), and corns is easier to grow and more abundant here than is sugar cane due to weather.

The GMO "worry" is also amongst the scientifically illiterate. Most foods we eat are GMO, and real corn (I.e. non-modified) is inedible. Whether it is through selective breeding, hybridization or processed in a lab, it is all GMO. There is no different.