Honored Contributor

You all would do well to quit worrying about corn syrup and direct your attention to the coloring used in cola.

Consumer Reports is warning the caramel coloring that gives cola its brown hue may be dangerous in the levels its found in some popular soft drinks. “There’s no reason why consumers should be exposed to an avoidable and unnecessary risk that can stem from coloring food brown,” toxicologist Dr. Urvashi Rangan, executive director of Consumer Reports’ Food Safety & Sustainability Center, said in a statement. Researchers at the magazine tested dozens of cans and bottles from a variety of popular brands looking for levels of the artificial chemical used for coloring, 4-methylimidazole (4-MeI). Previous studies of 4-MeI have found long-term exposure to the chemical caused lung cancer in mice, according to the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment. That prompted the state to add 4-MeI to its list of potentially toxic chemicals under Proposition 65, which requires warning labels on products containing concerning levels of the chemical -- in this case 29 micrograms of 4-MeI per can or bottle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
On 2/8/2014 Debbie1426 said: Hard to argue that it tastes SO much better!

Sorry but I can't taste a big difference.

Respected Contributor
On 2/9/2014 Vamp said:

If you are really concerned about what you are putting in your body, you might consider giving up coke and other soft drinks altogether. Seriously, coke is nothing more than a chemical cocktail. It has no redeeming nutritious value whatsoever.

If you want to keep this as your one "vice" then I wouldn't worry about the corn syrup.

Did I say I was worried about the corn syrup...or any other chemicals in Coke? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} I've been drinking it 64 years...hasn't hurt me yet. I limit my Coke intake to one 7.5 oz. can a day though.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor
On 2/10/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:

I haven't seen it anywhere, but would love to try it.

Hildegarde, look in the international foods aisle at your supermarket. It is usually sold by the single bottle right along with the rest of the Mexican foods. It is pricey.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor
On 2/10/2014 Brinklii said:
On 2/10/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:

I haven't seen it anywhere, but would love to try it.

Hildegarde, look in the international foods aisle at your supermarket. It is usually sold by the single bottle right along with the rest of the Mexican foods. It is pricey.

some of our local grocery stores have it on specials.....right as you are walking into the stores......coke, pepsi, fanta orange, and sprite.....all made with sugar. they are often on special for 1.00 a bottle.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I buy them by the case at Home Depot!! I love them being in a glass bottle and then made with real sugar!!!

Super Contributor

Mexican Coke is also available at Sam's Clubs. Last month, they had $2 off each case in their coupon flyer. You can also buy at most supermarkets and I've yet to be in a REAL Mexican restaurant that doesn't carry both Mexican Coke and Jarritos. You do have to ASK, as it's generally not on the menu, nor will your wait person tell you it's available. They save it for those who ask.

In your supermarket, look for it in the international food aisle, NOT in the soda aisle. Runs around $1.25 - $1.50 a bottle. At Sams & Costco, it runs about $.75 per bottle by he case. They also carry it at 3 of our Big Lots.

Just an FYI, the Mexican Coke is actually bottled here in Atlanta. We brought some back from Mexico, and can't taste any difference between the Mexican Coke bottled in Mexico and the one manufactured and bottled in Atlanta.

We got hooked on Mexican Coke when we lived in South Texas; it's the only Coke we buy. I'm actually a Pepsi addict - Pepsi Throwback is my Pepsi drink of choice. For mixed drinks, like rum and coke and for cooking, Mexican Coke is the way to go.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up with Mexican coke...it is so much sweeter than the coke we have here in the US!! Now when I drink it, I cannot get through a bottle...too sweet!