Respected Contributor

I always use Yukon Gold potatoes. They come out fluffy and buttery tasting!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I use a combo of Idaho Russet and Yukon Gold.

I tried Tyler Florence's recipe for mashed a couple of years ago and it was well worth the work.  It is the only way I may them now.

He cooks the pots IN half n half or light cream NOT water.  Cook w/ butter and garlic and sage/rosemary/thyme, S % P.

Strain the liquid into a bowl....then use THAT creamy, garlicky liquid to make your mashed.

No more watery pots, incredible texture and flavor..

Trusted Contributor

Re: Mashed Potatoes ?

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

I use a combo of Idaho Russet and Yukon Gold.

I tried Tyler Florence's recipe for mashed a couple of years ago and it was well worth the work.  It is the only way I may them now.

He cooks the pots IN half n half or light cream NOT water.  Cook w/ butter and garlic and sage/rosemary/thyme, S % P.

Strain the liquid into a bowl....then use THAT creamy, garlicky liquid to make your mashed.

No more watery pots, incredible texture and flavor..

My Husband, the Irish guy, would have a for-real cardiac reaction if his beloved mashed potatoes tasted like garlic and rosemary/sage/thyme.  My belongings would be on the sidewalk.  He would have mashed potatoes with every single meal if possible.

Super Contributor

I warm the milk/half-and-half before adding. I don't remember why. Makes them creamier?

Respected Contributor

I must confess...when pressed for time, I use Bob Evans mashed potatoes. Heat them in microwave, add butter and garlic powder. They taste really good! For Christmas I may try cooking them the way @RespectLife posted by Tyler Florence(probably minus the seasonings, except garlic, butter and s&p) sounds good to me!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

Yukon Gold potatoes make the yummiest mashed potatoes around.  They are creamy and very flavorful.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mashed Potatoes ?

[ Edited ]

If I am going to actually make mashed potatoes, I use Idaho.   I know Yukon Gold and yellowy potatoes are supposed to be the best for mashed.  But Idaho is the taste I grew up with, and nothing tastes better to me than what Mom used to make, escpecially for comfort foods, and I consider mashed taters in that category.

I, too, must confess that the Bob Evans potatoes are very good !  I didnt try it for a long time because my husband ocassionally buys the Bob Evans 'loaded' mashed.  Too much stuff in it for my taste.   Tried the plain and I am a Bob convert !  Delish and easy !!

Honored Contributor

I always use russets.  Nothing else tastes "authentic" around here.  Not a Yukon Gold fan, but I had some roasted at a friend's that were fantastic.  I also tried Oprah's mashed, OK but not worth the money. By the time I add butter the calorie savings are negated. 

Honored Contributor

yukon gold......they are THE BEST for delicious, creamy mashed potatoes.....of course the butter and half n half  and sea salt help also. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to answer!  Now I am not as nervous being in charge of the potatoes. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza,  Happy New Year, Happy Everything!