Esteemed Contributor

What potatoes do you use for your mashed potatoes? Are Yukon potatoes ok to use? Any help is greatly appreciated. 🎄

Respected Contributor

Large Idaho potatoes!

Honored Contributor

Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, uses Yukon Gold for her mashed potatoes.

I only buy Idaho or Russets and use them for every kind of potato dish I make.

Honored Contributor

It's an extra step, but ricing the potatoes really makes a difference in texture.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I always use either a Yukon or a Butter potato! They are always the hit of the dinner party!

I don't rice...DH washes (does not peel), takes out any imperfection and dices and into a pot of salt water til tender. A quick drain in the colander, then right back into the hot pot. Cream (yes, cream) and melted butter and a whip up with my hand mixer.

Respected Contributor

I bake the potatoes, cut in half and they  fall out if the skin.  Add butter, cream or whatever. They aren’t wet like boiled potatoes. Even easier, Costco’s potatoes are good. 

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

What potatoes do you use for your mashed potatoes? Are Yukon potatoes ok to use? Any help is greatly appreciated. 🎄

Yes, just don't over-work them.

I also like Russets.

I noticed yesterday at my Piggly Wiggly, there were plenty of beautiful russets for sale.   

I bought just one and made an awesome baked potato!

Trusted Contributor

I use any potato I have.  We prefer the taste of red potatoes so I use those if I have them.  Turns out fine.  

Honored Contributor

Depends on what flavor and texture I'm looking for.

* Red if we want the skins and a rougher texture

* Idaho, skinned, for whipping into fluffy mashed

* Russet (any baking potato) if I'm using as a topper to a casserole (no skins, btw) such as Cottage Pie.

Honored Contributor

Depends on what flavor and texture I'm looking for.

* Red if we want the skins and a rougher texture

* Idaho, skinned, for whipping into fluffy mashed

* Russet (any baking potato) if I'm using as a topper to a casserole (no skins, btw) such as Cottage Pie.

Edited to add: I read in quite a few cookbooks that if you drain the potatoes and then place them back on the stove, covered and no heat, for 10 mintues and THEN mash them, the texture is much better. Tried it,  was wowed by it and now always do that.