Esteemed Contributor

I had 4 MC pie shells in my freezer.  Power went out and they thawed.  Still very cold and I re-froze them.  I'm wondering if they are okay to still use?  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Marie Callender pie shells

As the saying goes, if in doubt, throw it out. Especially during flu/virus surge this winter. And, esp. if you plan on serving these to guests.

Super Contributor

I agree if you're in doubt toss them.

But the government food safety chart shows OK to refreeze though can have loss of quality (the 2nd column is if thawed and held above 40 degrees for more than 2 hours):

Screenshot 2020-11-13 115821.jpg

https://www.foodsafety.gov/food-safety-charts/food-safety-during-power-outage

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the responses........  And thanks @Happy2BHere  for the link!

Honored Contributor

Interesting info.   I would have thought, under the circumstances laid out, it would probably be ok.

I do know one thing - don't vacuum seal them!   Once I had a package of the two pie crusts that I didn't end up using and I decided to vac-seal them.  When I ended up using them, it was very bad.   Too much smooshing for a dough-type product, I guess.  Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I would've taken it as my sign to make pie!

Esteemed Contributor

I would not throw the pie shells out, especially since they were still cold. I'd definitely refreeze them and try to use them within the next few months or so. That said, I'm not one to throw out milk or eggs past the sell by date. I think the recommendations are helpful, but I don't live by them! JMO!