New Contributor

Mad Hungry knives

[ Edited ]

Hi, everyone. I have been a QVC customer for many years.  Recently, I purchased the Mad Hungry 2-Piece Forged Essential Cutlery Set (contains one 7" chef's knife and one 4.25" santoku knife).  I am coming to this forum because I'm unsure my review of these knives will be approved.  My review of these knives was poor because they are advertised by QVC and its presenters as "German steel".  Perhaps the steel was sourced in Germany but these knives are clearly made in China.  They are not made in Germany.  I can tell because the word CHINA is stamped on one side of the knife blade and the words "Made in China" appear on the box's shipping label.  I believe this is false advertising.  The description for these knives on QVC's web site simply reads, "Imported" which implies any country other than the United States.  QVC really needs to stop partnering with vendors that have chosen to have their goods manufactured in China.  China is well known for human rights abuses and atrocities, and I, for one, refuse to continue supporting a foreign government that treats its people so poorly.  By purchasing these knives, I feel like I supported China one more time.  I'm promptly returning these and requesting a refund.  Stepping off my soapbox now.

Honored Contributor

@librarygirlatl wrote:

Hi, everyone. I have been a QVC customer for many years.  Recently, I purchased the Mad Hungry 2-Piece Forged Essential Cutlery Set (contains one 7" chef's knife and one 4.25" santoku knife).  I am coming to this forum because I'm unsure my review of these knives will be approved.  My review of these knives was poor because they are advertised by QVC and its presenters as "German steel".  Perhaps the steel was sourced in Germany but these knives are clearly made in China.  They are not made in Germany.  I can tell because the word CHINA is stamped on one side of the knife blade and the words "Made in China" appear on the box's shipping label.  I believe this is false advertising.  The description for these knives on QVC's web site simply reads, "Imported" which implies any country other than the United States.  QVC really needs to stop partnering with vendors that have chosen to have their goods manufactured in China.  China is well know for human rights abuses and atrocities, and I, for one, refuse to continue supporting a foreign government that treats its people so poorly.  By purchasing these knives, I feel like I supported China one more time.  I'm promptly returning these and requesting a refund.  Stepping off my soapbox now.

but how do they work? are the knives a good quality? if they were made in germany they would probably be at least double the price.

if qvc were to stop selling items made in china, there would be no more qvc. that goes for quite a lot of other websites also.

if you are adamant about shopping for goods that are not made in china, qvc is probably not the place for you.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It is misleading to say they were made of German steel, but are made in China.  

"China is well know for human rights abuses and atrocities."

Many American companies are more interested in making money at the expense of others.  They weren't always this way, but I see morality is way down on their list of priorities.

New Contributor

Re: Mad Hungry knives

[ Edited ]

I wish these knives were made in Germany!  If they were made in Germany and they were of good quality, then I would pay extra and I would buy mulitple sets to demonstrate to QVC that I support their sourcing of goods from countries other than China.  I agree that QVC is probably not the place for me if I want to avoid buying goods from China.  So many goods are made in the PRC because the labor is cheap.  I get that.  But China is a country that has no problem placing people into forced labor interment camps (also more politely known as vocational education and training centers) because the government leaders disagree with their religion.  

Instead, I plan to purchase the Wusthof santoku knife which costs about three times more but it's made in Germany and the quality is excellent.  I may need to spend more money to avoid "made in China" goods but I'm willing to do it.  I hope QVC will take notice by sourcing more goods from countries other than China.  But I'm not gonna hold my breath.  

Esteemed Contributor

@librarygirlatl  I agree with @sunshine45. A majority of items offered on QVC are made in China. It might be an American or European company, but they manufacture all or part of the items in China. Otherwise the prices for the items would be very high. For that matter, so much of what we buy is all or partially made in China, including car and truck parts and many home goods. I would love to see more items manufactured in free countries.

Honored Contributor

It does seem deceptive to say the knives are made of "Geman steel" while failing to mention they are "made in China."  Highlighting the good while ignoring the bad.  I would return them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mad Hungry knives

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

It is misleading to say they were made of German steel, but are made in China.  

"China is well know for human rights abuses and atrocities."

Many American companies are more interested in making money at the expense of others.  They weren't always this way, but I see morality is way down on their list of priorities.

@Foxxee    How do you know its misleading to say the steel was manufactured in Germany?  China and other countries make millions of products with components sourced from other countries including the US.  Unless the OP has proof to the contrary, I'd assume the blades were Germany steel.  I see nothing misleading about QVC's claims.

I hope QVC, Walmart, Neiman Marcus and all US retailers continue to import from China.  I can't afford to purchase many that aren't. 

I hope the OP remembers her vow not to purchase Chinese the next time she needs a pharmaceutical, computer, cell phone, clothing, or a refrigerator.

Considering the morality that has become acceptable in the USA, I don't think we're in any position to judge the morals of another nation. 

@librarygirlatl 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@librarygirlatl    By the way, you'll never find fine quality German-made knives sold on a TV shopping channel.  They are so expensive, they're beyond their acceptable price point.  I've bought many kitchen knives from TV but have never gotten a good one that would hold its edge. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
I'm sure you're aware the phone, laptop or tablet you're typing this post on was made in China as well as most of what's in your home and your vehicle (even if assembled in US, most car parts are China made). I'm sure you're disappointed over the knives, but will you return your electronics or vehicle over your hatred of China too?
New Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict  "I'm sure you're disappointed over the knives, but will you return your electronics or vehicle over your hatred of China too?"

I never said I hate China.  Where did you find the word "hate" anywhere in my post?  I have no hatred for them.  Also, I totally understand that this laptop I'm typing on, the vehicle I'm driving, the phone I'm using, the TV I'm watching, probably all have parts from China or were made exclusively in China.  I am amazed, simply amazed, that I take one new item, that I feel was misleadingly promoted with a strong emphasis on German steel and not on Chinese manufacturing, point it out, and then several come with their own knives out accusing me of hating another country, and then others with their own replies to my post who suggest the USA is just as morally reprehensible as China.  @Kachina624 

Geez, people.