Respected Contributor

Re: MY MICROWAVE DIED

[ Edited ]

I can't be without a microwave!  Mine stopped working in the spring.,,it was pretty old, and was handed down  from my sis.  Got mine shipped from Kohl's.   I use it several times a day...I have a bag I heat in it and use on my back each morning when I am stiff....heat up the last cup of coffee....heat soup or leftovers....sanitize the sponge...make a cup of tea.....   

Mine is a countertop model.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme I don't know about you but I use the microwave at least once a day.  Saves time and energy.

Honored Contributor

My microwave stopped working properly about 2 years ago.  We had a power surge and boom the display pad got crazy

🤷‍♀️

The clock/timer feature and certain buttons don't work...but, I am just letting it sit above the range because I want different brand appliances in SS.  I know the range & dishwasher are next ...so I'm patiently waiting for them to go🤞🏻

The fridge is 3 years old crappy Samsung ice maker stopped working at 13 months and compressor sounds like it's

next...ugh...I'm making ice cubes in trays like when I was a kid🙄

I'm not fixing them or buying new until they all go!  I never used microwave much except for popcorn so no biggie. 

BTW, those microwave bagged vegs I do the good ole fashioned way a little boiled water, salt, drop in vegs, cover...steam.

Or I buy the really old fashioned kind in bags by PicSweet or other brand.

@eddyandme 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 

You're really smart waiting fo all three to bite the dust.  You'll get a much better deal, especially if they go arounde a holiday, e.g. Memorial Day sales.

I don't know about the Samsung fridges, but I can say ice makers always fail:  they're really not worth the cost, but convenience is why they sell, I think.  I've had two fridges with ice makers.  My GE overflowed and froze up the door so I could not fully-close the freezer.  I had Sears service so you know how that went.  This one is a Whirlpool and the ice maker somehow misses the container and drips down within the freezer, but it still works.  Anyways they can send a man to the moon, but they can't perfect an icemakerWoman LOL!

P.S.  I think the stove-steamed veggies taste better.....

Honored Contributor

I actually have two now for the past year.  My new stove came with one above the oven and I still have my old counter top one.  Until that puppy goes out I will keep both.  It as been sitting there so long I just could not bring myself to move it.  Came real cheap from Walmart and is lasting forever.  I still use both microwaves but for different things.  The old one does not heat up as quickly as the new one. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

We have 2 micro-waves, one above the stove that I can barely reach.  I am short and a couple of years ago when I broke my ankle my husband bought a counter top one, I have a large kitchen so we bought a cart.  Microwave sits on the top and beneath we use it for storage.  I don't use it an awful lot but they are nice to have when you want them.  I use mine for popcorn, cooking frozen veggies, melting butter or just reheating stuff.  We have had one since the mid 90's and not sure I would know what to do without one.  

Respected Contributor

I was reminded today how important the microwave is for making Reuben sandwiches, a favorite.  I preheat the sauerkraut and meat or beets when I'm making it vegetarian in the microwave, then I build the sandwich and the preheating helps the cheese melt easier while the sandwich grills on the stove or in the Foodi.  

Honored Contributor

Just a quick note. When a microwave dies, it's typically a blown fuse. Replacing the fuse is something a homeowner can do if they're careful. There are roughly a gazillion websites, YouTube videos, and online instructions on how to do it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!