Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a tried and true, not too labor intensive cinnamon roll recipe.

This was posted by Linders Back. I made this weekend but did the quick rise (45mins) in 200 degree oven with boiling water in pan. Instructions on the Rhodes package . It was delish.

SIMPLE BUTTERSCOTCH COFFEE CAKE

PREPARE THIS COFFEE CAKE THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU PLAN TO SERVE. THEN JUST POP IT INTO THE OVEN IN THE MORNING AND IT WILL BE WARM AND READY IN JUST 1/2 HOUR!!!

1/2 c. chopped nuts (pecans are a favorite here, but walnuts work equally well)

18 FROZEN unbaked dinner rolls (such as Rhodes)

1 3oz pkg Butterscotch pudding.(NOT instant)

1/2 c butter or marjarine

3/4 c. brown sugar

3 tsp. Cinnamon

Grease a bundt pan. Pour in the chopped nuts. Add frozen rolls. Sprinkle with DRY pudding mix. In a separate pan, melt butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the rolls and let rise overnight, covered at room temperature. In the morning, bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes…then enjoy!!

Valued Contributor

On 12/16/2014 iQue said:

This was posted by Linders Back. I made this weekend but did the quick rise (45mins) in 200 degree oven with boiling water in pan. Instructions on the Rhodes package . It was delish.

SIMPLE BUTTERSCOTCH COFFEE CAKE

PREPARE THIS COFFEE CAKE THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU PLAN TO SERVE. THEN JUST POP IT INTO THE OVEN IN THE MORNING AND IT WILL BE WARM AND READY IN JUST 1/2 HOUR!!!

1/2 c. chopped nuts (pecans are a favorite here, but walnuts work equally well)

18 FROZEN unbaked dinner rolls (such as Rhodes)

1 3oz pkg Butterscotch pudding.(NOT instant)

1/2 c butter or marjarine

3/4 c. brown sugar

3 tsp. Cinnamon

Grease a bundt pan. Pour in the chopped nuts. Add frozen rolls. Sprinkle with DRY pudding mix. In a separate pan, melt butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the rolls and let rise overnight, covered at room temperature. In the morning, bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes…then enjoy!!

This is my secret family recipe,{#emotions_dlg.devil2} Hard to beat, love getting up in the morning and just pop them in the oven.

Super Contributor

I've baked homemade cinnamon rolls for about 40 years. The day I tried a "new" recipe that happened to have mashed potatoes in it, my son said "Stop looking; these are the best!". I always start with potatoes, but know others use instant. My experience has been that there are many variables in baking bread. . .the weather, flour, yeas, age of yeast, etc. Some breads just turn out perfect, other times less perfect. Never has anyone told me that my product wasn't good. (Who doesn't like homemade bread???) All of the above recipes are probably wonderful. I do think that I make an especially good icing for cinnamon rolls. I use hot coffee in place of milk to thin it down, and maple extract instead of vanilla or almond extract.

Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 lork said:

I've baked homemade cinnamon rolls for about 40 years. The day I tried a "new" recipe that happened to have mashed potatoes in it, my son said "Stop looking; these are the best!". I always start with potatoes, but know others use instant. My experience has been that there are many variables in baking bread. . .the weather, flour, yeas, age of yeast, etc. Some breads just turn out perfect, other times less perfect. Never has anyone told me that my product wasn't good. (Who doesn't like homemade bread???) All of the above recipes are probably wonderful. I do think that I make an especially good icing for cinnamon rolls. I use hot coffee in place of milk to thin it down, and maple extract instead of vanilla or almond extract.

I'm intrigued... would you mind sharing this recipe?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

What I do is make the chopped pecan and brown sugar, butter and syrup base in pan then add Pillsbury Grands biscuits on top and bake.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 house_cat said:
On 12/19/2014 lork said:

I'm intrigued... would you mind sharing this recipe?

Sure. .

POTATO REFRIGERATOR DOUGH

1 T yeast (1 pkg)

1 1/2 C warm water

2/3 C sugar

1 1/2 t. salt

2/3 C shortening

2 eggs

1 C lukewarm mashed potatoes

7 - 71/2 C flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes and 4 C flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough into lightly floured bard;knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 mins, Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours or until ready to use*. (Dough can be kept up to 5 days in frig; keep covered.)

When ready to use, punch down dough, shape as desired, let rise until double is size. Bake at 400 degrees until golden.

* I usually just let rise until double in size; punch down, shape, let rise again until double in size and bake at 400 degrees.

For my cinnamon rolls I use soft butter, cinnamon and white sugar for the filling. After baked I top warm rolls with a glaze of melted butter, powdered sugar, hot coffee and maple extract.

Honored Contributor

I think I'm going to try this recipe from Ree Drummond.

This recipe yields 4x more than I would like to make right now. I can do the math and make less, but if I'm going to go through all this trouble, I might just make them all and freeze some.

Can I freeze some before I bake them?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Pillsbury makes great Cinnamon Rolls.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Valued Contributor

Housecat,

Ree's recipe is easily split in half, you could probably quarter it although you will fly through the half recipe. I always make half a recipe. She does say in her book you can freeze before baking, and take out and defrost prior to baking or freeze after baking. I have never tried it though. I brought a pan yesterday when I volunteered and everyone loved them. They never disappoint.

Super Contributor

I consider mine home made and I do start with a loaf of frozen bread dough. Similar to the previously posted recipe by Sandra Lee. They are wonderful! You can also turn them into caramel rolls by making a mixture of Karo, butter, sugar, nuts etc. And putting into the pan and placing the rolls on top of them before baking.