Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a tried and true, not too labor intensive cinnamon roll recipe.

If you don't want to make the yeasted traditional version, and are not familiar with working with sweet yeasted dough, Pioneer Woman's are the way to go. I like to use softened room temperature butter rather than melted, use a tiny sprinkle of salt over the filling, and use a combination of white and brown sugar and cinnamon. If you like it, a little fresh grated nutmeg (go light on this) is good too!

Honored Contributor

Always good advice here. I made the entire recipe, and put one tray into the freezer, before baking, and before they rose for the second time. It will be an experiment. I'll update when I defrost and bake them.

I have to say that I used half the sugar called for in her recipe and about a quarter of the butter. It looked like lots of sugar and butter to me. It might turn out that I didn't use enough, but the recipe called for an unreasonable amount of it, in my opinion.

They're in the oven now {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 Sooner said:

If you don't want to make the yeasted traditional version, and are not familiar with working with sweet yeasted dough, Pioneer Woman's are the way to go. I like to use softened room temperature butter rather than melted, use a tiny sprinkle of salt over the filling, and use a combination of white and brown sugar and cinnamon. If you like it, a little fresh grated nutmeg (go light on this) is good too!

Her recipe did include yeast. Maybe she has another that I'm not aware of, but this one was yeasted. I have some experience with bread baking, so it didn't intimidate me.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

yes, it does have yeast but also the baking soda and baking powder, not typical. I agree way too much sugar and butter, I also reduced.

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 kitty60 said:

yes, it does have yeast but also the baking soda and baking powder, not typical. I agree way too much sugar and butter, I also reduced.

Wouldn't you know it, I just sat down and turned on the t.v. - there she was making the same recipe! She said, "When you think you've added all the butter, sugar and cinnamon you could possibly add, add some more". Maybe I should have, but I think it would have sickened me.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

They're done! I used a frosting of powdered sugar and milk. I'm sure her maple frosting is delicious, though.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Enjoy, If you make again try some brown sugar in place of or mixed with regular sugar. It's great.

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 house_cat said:
On 12/20/2014 kitty60 said:

Wouldn't you know it, I just sat down and turned on the t.v. - there she was making the same recipe! She said, "When you think you've added all the butter, sugar and cinnamon you could possibly add, add some more". Maybe I should have, but I think it would have sickened me.

Yes, that's what makes it not traditional risen sweet dough. The texture PW's and traditional sweet dough is very different. When you roll out the doughs and when you cut into them after baking you can tell the difference in the texture.