Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a Coffee Maker

We love coffee in our house, my husband makes it every morning. We bought a Kitchen Aid drip coffee maker 3 years ago and love it. The coffee is piping hot, but my husband uses room temperature filtered water. I used to like DD coffee too when I worked and drank it everyday. I have to tell you, for me it did not taste the same when my husband made that brand at home. Just like Star Bucks does not taste the same when made at home.IMO

Esteemed Contributor

I think Bunn coffeemakers make the hottest coffee because of the reserve water resevoir. They are a little more expensive and I don't know if they make a small version. It's a top-notch coffee maker in my opinion. Maybe check them out their website to see what they have, but I can guarantee that the Bunn's that I've owned were without a doubt the hottest cup of coffee!

Esteemed Contributor

Since I haven't had coffee for a week - just tea - I'm feeling sad and have no energy. It's also hot and humid in Oxnard, CA - so that may be part of it. But - I do miss my coffee.

Bed/Bath, which used to be 10 min. from my house, just closed - so I have to drive to the next town, Ventura, to return (or exchange it). I get panic attacks driving so when I'm ready, I'll return the Hamilton Beach electric percolator which lasted all of 7 months. I'll check out Bunn on-line. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling

I do grind the beans.

Trusted Contributor

For your one cup a day, you're making a sensible choice looking at capsule systems. Have you tried a Verismo machine from Starbucks? I went to a store and they made coffee for me to try it--don't know if they always do that. You have to use their coffee pods, but there's a good selection. Coffee is twice as good as Keurig IMO. I paid about $70 for mine, and I'm in my 3rd year. My second choice for taste would be a Nespresso, but it's more expensive. You can usually try these -- there's a wide range of models -- at a Sur La Table store.

Valued Contributor

@ what model is your Bunn coffee maker? 

Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

I drink one cup of coffee a day.  Large size from Dunkin Donuts. I like the way their coffee tastes.  Now that I am retired I would like to brew my own coffee.  I don't like the Keurig machines.  I like it really, really hot.  Any suggestions?

@Equuleus

I make one cup a day using the drip method.  I have an individual drip ceramic filter holder that fits onto a coffee cup.  It looks like this, and into it I place a paper filter.  It makes nice smooth coffee.  You can use either boiling water or just very hot water.  

The filter paper and the grounds are compostable.  The ceramic filter cleans easily.  I just rinse it daily, and save washing it until after several uses.

Image result for ceramic drip for one cup

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We purchased the Ninja Coffee bar and love it. You can choose the size you want to make like a half carafe instead of a full. Makes great coffee nice and hot. I think many coffee makers accommodate smaller versions of their coffee pots.