Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a Coffee Maker

My four cup Mr. Coffee Maker is now over 14 years old.  I am just a Folger's girl with no sugar no other foo/foo added either, and only one cup per day.  Used to could throw it back morning till bedtime but still always just Folger's black.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a one-cup personal Keurig several times a day.  Because I use refrigerated, filtered water in it, and add cold milk once the cup is brewed, the coffee sometimes is not as hot as I like it.  I like coffee hotter than most people do, just like my food.

My solution is to put the filled mug in the microwave for 30 seconds, and then I have the hot coffee I want.  Most people probably would think the coffee was hot enough already, because the Keurig does a good job with cold water

Also have a Cuisinart 10-cup drip brewer that I like and use sometimes.  That brand  comes highly recommended by consumer surveys, in case anyone wants to give it a try.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always heard that Bunn coffee makers kept the coffee the hotest of any other makers.  I don't have one, but a friend of mine does and that's the reason she purchased that brand...

Honored Contributor

We're using a Cuisinart 4 cup coffee maker.

We were using a Keurig with the reservoir but last year my husband lost his taste for coffee and after having it sit on the counter for over a month or more, I put it away because I rarely drink coffee.

By the time he decided he wanted a cup of coffee, it had been put away for so long that I didn't feel like going through the whole descaling process.

The Kcups have gotten really expensive and it's way cheaper to buy the filters and a can of coffee.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Sylvania, yes, Sylvania, 5 cup coffeemaker.  The big A has it.  It gets hot enough to make a fine cup of coffee.  I use DD coffee and enjoy it!

Regular Contributor

if I had one cup a day and a few extra minutes in my day I would totally make a cup using my French Press... so much better.    

Frequent Contributor

I have a Bunn MyCafe single cup coffee machine. Got it after my Keurig died. I love it. It comes with 4 drawers so you can do kcups, ground coffee, hot water or tea bags. It makes really HOT coffee, plus, it doesn’t store water, like a Keurig, so you use fresh water each time. And...it requires tap water only, so no filters. Small footprint on the countertop, too.

Great little machine

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I use a one-cup personal Keurig several times a day.  Because I use refrigerated, filtered water in it, and add cold milk once the cup is brewed, the coffee sometimes is not as hot as I like it.  I like coffee hotter than most people do, just like my food.

My solution is to put the filled mug in the microwave for 30 seconds, and then I have the hot coffee I want.  Most people probably would think the coffee was hot enough already, because the Keurig does a good job with cold water

Also have a Cuisinart 10-cup drip brewer that I like and use sometimes.  That brand  comes highly recommended by consumer surveys, in case anyone wants to give it a try.

I sometimes use the microwave, too. I'm in central Texas where the winter is usually short and I don't even have to turn my heat on, but we had snow 3 times last winter and food and dinner got cold FAST. I started filling my cup with 8 ounces of hot water and letting it sit for a bit before I poured the water out and made a cup of coffee in the hot mug.

The water I poured out would usually have some coffee in it after going through the Keurig spout, so I didn't pour it back into the Keurig, but it was great for rinsing or soaking dirty dishes because it was already hot. Using it for that meant it didn't go to waste.

Respected Contributor

@kivah The Faberware percolator for the stovetop is the first percolator I bought in college when I moved out of the dorm. I just loved the way it had that nostalgia and didn't take up much space in the 5th wheel that I lived in in college. I still have it and use it once in a while. I too was disappointed in the reviews and cost of electric percolators when I moved into a place with more space. I went to ebay and bought a ceramic "antique" one that is fully functioning. I use it on weekends when I have time to make it. During the week I did use my Keurig, but recently, about 6 months, got the Ninja coffee bar with the built in frother. It will make a caraf or one cup of various sizes at a time. It is hot! I can also make it stronger than I could with my Keurig because it does use filters. I also have a french press that I use on the weekends as well for coffee or brewing tea. I have experimented in working it into my morning routine, but I value sleep too much.
Honored Contributor

@Equuleus...we like hot coffee as well, and drink a lot...I think next coffee pot will be a BUNN.   I was at a friends house over the weekend and that is what she has.  The coffee was hot, the prices of the BUNN is around $100.00, I think.