Respected Contributor

Looking for One Really Good Frying Pan!

[ Edited ]

Time for a new frying pan. I give up on nonstick. They never seem to stay nonstick no matter how careful I am with them. My last one was ceramic inside. Do regular pans that are not nonstick work well or does everything burn in them? I do have a couple old cast iron pans of my dads that I could re-season and try. The ones that came with my pot and pan set look pretty, but aren't that great. Very frustrated! What's your best recommendation for a frying pan? Thank you!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for One Really Good Frying Pan!

Iron Chef Zakarian has Cast Iron with non stick. . Just introduced and has a video. . .three sizes.  Many great reviews.

Respected Contributor

@SunnysMom ... Oh, thanks! I'll be checking that right out! Smiley Very Happy

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Yardlie -

I used to like ceramic too until I found a Rosh Goss speckled fry pan from Italy at homegoods.

it is the best I've ever had. You can read reviews online and everyone says the same thing. 

I don't know where you can find them unfortunately. I was just lucky to find one but I do think Homegoods and TJ Maxx most of the time have a good selection from Europe,

sometimes the USA, without the bad stuff!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was watching a cooking show on PBS last weekend.  There was a segment where they rated frying pans.  They had about 8 or 10 and put them all through lots of testing.   I guess out of kindness, they didn't slam the losers by naming them.  They spoke about them, showed photos of them and listed their flaws and weaknesses but they only made comments like  "THIS pan was easily scratched", etc.   The only brand name they gave was for the winner.  It was OXO 12" open fry pan.  I think it has a silicone handle.  They said it was $39.99.  I looked on Amazon and saw one that fit the description. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love my cast iron, it is all nice and seasoned.  Never found anything I liked more.

Respected Contributor

I'll second the Zakarian cast iron suggestion wholeheartedly!  I bought one when the Q first offered them late last year, and it's become my go-to skillet.  I find that it's more "non-stick" than my LeCreuset enameled cast iron.  I don't appreciate the weight, but for cooking, the cast iron evens out the heat and holds it better than any other metal, so it's worth it to me.

Respected Contributor

I have a small stainless Ceramic lined Henkels fry pan that we are really enjoying, especially for eggs.
My unlined Caphalon SS not as easy to clean.
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I love my cast iron, it is all nice and seasoned.  Never found anything I liked more.

drop the mic.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie 

Americas Test Kitchen did a segment on the best frypan on the market yesterday.  

Very interesting how they tested and their findings.  In fact, they said a non-stick frypan will last only 2-3 at most, even using the best of care (teflon tools, etc).

The pan manufacturer buys the "grade" of teflon coating and they determine the "layers".

Surpringly, both Caphalon & other high end $$ brands were not selected! 

The best fry pan for $39.99 in their opinion was OXO 12" skillet.  I'm sure this brand comes in other sizes.

I really like this show because they always give the true & best reviews!  And love their recipes -- I just bought the ingredients to make Jersey Crumb cake (aka Entenmanns crumb cake) I saw on there yesterday.  We 💜 that crumb cake!