Respected Contributor

Even though my 20-year-old Oster wide slot is fine, I'm kind of tired of having to toast long baguette pieces half at a time. 

There are two kinds of long slot toasters: two slice and four slice. You can get a glass window on the two slice to see how your toast is doing, a nice feature. But that means you have to toast long baguettes one at a time. You can toast two long baguettes at a time with a four slice, but you have to give up the window.

Also, no matter what the price point, it's clear today's toasters simply don't last like the old ones. I hate to give up a reliable workhorse.

What to do? Opinions, please. 

Honored Contributor

IMO, keep what you have.  As long as it's still working.  I have a side by side refrigerator that I hate but it works. So until one of our kitchen appliances breaks down and has to be replaced, I'm keeping it.

Contributor

Re: Long Slot Toasters

[ Edited ]

Just curious as to whether we have the same Oster toaster?  Mine's also a long slot that's around 20 years old.  Still works perfectly after all these years.  Keeping mine until it stops working although a glass window on the front would be a nice feature.

20220613_185233.jpg

Respected Contributor

@WVopr  My old Oster is a wide slot, not a long slot. Did your life improve substantially when you got a long slot? When your current toaster dies, will you replace it with another long slot?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Long Slot Toasters

[ Edited ]

If you love your current toaster and don't want the added expense, why not pop them under the broiler or in a toaster oven in a foil lined pan?

I have a long slot KA that I wouldn't want to give up but a few toaster items don't fit.

Contributor

@PickyPicky3   When this toaster dies I probably will replace it with another long slot.  Some of the breads I toast don't fit very well in a traditional toaster.  As for your situation, I think the 4 slot is a better option since your issue seems to be more a "numbers" issue.  The window would be a nice feature but the reason you want a new toaster is so that you can toast all your baguettes at the same time.  Smiley Happy

Do you have an air fryer?   Have you tried toasting items in there?   I've been doing my English muffins in the air fryer and once you find the correct time/temp it works just as well as the toaster which is great for me as I have limited counter space and have to drag out the toaster each time I want to use it.