Super Contributor

Lock n lock egg container and mold

I need help. After several years of using the egg container without any problems, I am suddenly having my eggs begin to get moldy. I had read on these boards where someone said to put a folded paper towel in the container. It is not working for me. I was wondering if any one had any advice for me. I have thought about making holes in the cover but I don't even know how I would do that. At this point, I am almost ready to throw the container into the garbage. I have the original 12 egg container.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lock n lock egg container and mold

I had the same problem and removed the lid of the egg container....eggs must have air since the shell is permeable....I just use the container to store tacks, paperclips, etc. Flawed concept by Lock&Lock....if they are still selling this I am surprised. I had the same problem with the bread keeper

Super Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I think I should probably throw the container out.

Honored Contributor

Have you bleached this container since the mold formed? If not, the mold spores are still in the container and will continue to be a problem. Chlorine bleach is the only thing that will kill mold spores.
Respected Contributor

I used to put a paper towel and there was a previous conversation that people drilled little pin holes in the lid. Who knew eggs had so much moisture.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

I drilled 4 tiny holes in the lid and that has worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Trusted Contributor

I have a different method which seems to work for me. I have used the container for more than five years and never had a problem.

I think what happens to cause the moisture buildup is the temperature of the eggs when they go into the container. If the eggs are room temperature (or even slightly warmer than the temperature inside of the refrigerator), moisture will condense inside the container once it goes into the refrigerator, If you chill the eggs first, in their original container, before putting them into the LnL, the moisture will not condense, and you will not have this issue. In other words, wait until the eggs are cold first before putting them into the container.

I noticed this happening with the first couple of uses, so after I began chilling them first, I never had the issue again. Doing this should solve your problem, allow you to continue using the product, and allow you to avoid drilling holes in the container (which defeats the purpose of the container in my opinion).

Respected Contributor

On 11/6/2014 KYToby said:

I have a different method which seems to work for me. I have used the container for more than five years and never had a problem.

I think what happens to cause the moisture buildup is the temperature of the eggs when they go into the container. If the eggs are room temperature (or even slightly warmer than the temperature inside of the refrigerator), moisture will condense inside the container once it goes into the refrigerator, If you chill the eggs first, in their original container, before putting them into the LnL, the moisture will not condense, and you will not have this issue. In other words, wait until the eggs are cold first before putting them into the container.

I noticed this happening with the first couple of uses, so after I began chilling them first, I never had the issue again. Doing this should solve your problem, allow you to continue using the product, and allow you to avoid drilling holes in the container (which defeats the purpose of the container in my opinion).

The purpose for me is for them not to get crushed. Smiley Wink

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I use the L & L egg container, but without the lid; no problems.

Respected Contributor

I had this problem.I simply don't use the lid .