Honored Contributor

For about the last three weeks we have been making dinner for my dad, every other night, my Mom passed away three weeks ago and we do not want him to feel abandoned. Here is the problem, there is a gas shut down in the building where he lives in so it’s making a difficult doubly hard.

I want to make scrambled eggs here about 5 minutes away and take them there and warm them in the microwave, he will not eat microwaved eggs.

I will make the eggs very soft and wrap the container well in foil to keep the heat in and warm slightly in the microwave.

Will this work?

Any words of advice?

TIA all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: Transporting scrambled eggs

How nice of you to do that. Do you have an insulated thermal bag. They really do work. There's nothing worse than cold scramble eggs. I would just warm them in the oven when you arrive if he doesn't like them microwaved. You might want to invest in a thermal bag if you will be doing this often. Sorry for the loss of your mother. Take care of yourself too.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/6/2014 luvpoos said:

How nice of you to do that. Do you have an insulated thermal bag. They really do work. There's nothing worse than cold scramble eggs. I would just warm them in the oven when you arrive if he doesn't like them microwaved. You might want to invest in a thermal bag if you will be doing this often. Sorry for the loss of your mother. Take care of yourself too.

Absolutely agree with the thermal bag idea.

I have one of those that came with a 9x13 Pyrex pan and a heat pack you zap in the microwave. This keeps the food hot for hours!

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry your loss. Both for you and your father. It's a good thing you are doing for him. I think if you make them right before you leave and you are planning on eating soon after you arrive the eggs should be okay if a bit Overcooked. Is their container a stone ware type that you can warm up before you put the eggs into it? That might help keep them warm on the trip. Do you think he may be up to coming over to your place for a meal? If you think he may go for that give him a finite start end time so he knows he won't be gone from his place long. You can always extend the visit if he's having a good time. Maybe you can look into one of those portable burners to bring over with you when you go over. Again so sorry for your loss and blessings to you and your dad.

Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 luvpoos said:

No oven that is also gas, if there was an electric oven, that would of solved a lot of the issues Smiley Sad

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

If you cover the eggs with a damp cloth & form a hole in the middle, the microwave won't make them rubbery or tough. That's true with anything you heat up in the microwave. You can get microwave steamers for other foods, as well.

Super Contributor

I take my breakfast scrambled eggs and/or omelets (sometimes, even pancakes or biscuits and gravy) to shooting matches on Saturdays. Since I leave around 6 in the morning, and I don't like breakfast much before 8, this works well.

I have a number of Thermos Vacuum insulated food containers that I use. Generally, I use either the 10oz or 16 oz for my breakfast. If taking biscuits and gravy, I put the biscuits in one of the 16 oz ones and the sausage gravy a smaller one. I prefer the glass lined ones, as they keep hot much longer than any of the plastic ones.

I also bring my lunch, and chile or minestrone travel well in these and stay hot until lunch.

Valued Contributor

My mom is in a NH and I routinely bring her scrambled eggs from home. I use a "rice sock" to keep them warm and it works very well. The "rice sock" is just some uncooked rice tied inside a child's sock. I microwave it for about 1-1/2 minutes then immediately wrap it in foil to help retain heat. I put the eggs in a sealed container, place it on top of the rice sock package then wrap the whole thing in another layer of foil.

The eggs are still hot when I get them to mom and any leftovers are still warm a good 45 minutes later when I return home provided I have rewrapped them in the foil with the rice sock.

Honored Contributor

Marp2 - thank you for the rice sock idea. It's one of those ""I forgot to remember how good this is"" ideas.

Great idea for those of us doing home-grown meals on wheels duty and I'd forgotten it.

Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, I know how hard it is to lose a parent. When we have pot luck at my church, I'll bring my food in a crock pot and it keeps it nice and warm. Would this work for you?