Honored Contributor

Re: Lock n Lock Question about Tabs Breaking

I had a tab break off the first time I used a container.  I don't have a lot of L'nL but I have several missing tabs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

AND EVERYONE

L&L has a limited lifetime warranty.

Call 1-844-527-9188  PST

I have called for 2 replacement lids over the past couple months.

while I save all my L&L receipts, she didn't even want the item number OR the Q inv #.

She did NOT want me to send back the broken lid.

What they DO need is the numbers on the bottom of the container the lid fits on.  She asked me what color.

Within 2 weeks, I received a new lid.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I've had issues with a tab breaking on some of my smaller containers, but last weekend one of the tabs broke on the big round container I use for grapes.

DH says if the seal is broken it's not worth anything. It's no longer airtight. Can it be airtight with 3 tabs working?

So if a tab breaks on one of yours do you keep using it, keep just the bottom and use it for something else, or throw the whole thing out? TIA! Smiley Happy

@beach-mom, unfortunately, no, it cannot be airtight now. Go ahead and save the bottom. They can come in handy. You could even use the damaged lid if you wanted to for anything not perishable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I have a few sets of L&L.  On every set I have had tabs break off.  I won't buy anymore and I keep using them for home use.  I bring my lunch to work every day and won't use the broken tabs ones in my backpack.  Sometimes the commute is an adventure and don't want my lunch leaking in my backpack.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom 

I have the bigger set of Rubbermaid like this.  All of the lids snap together and they totally seal and aren't going to come off until taken off.  No tabs.

Freezer, microwave safe, dishwasher safe, all of the good stuff.

See the source image

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  @sunshine45  Another example of why I enjoy this forum so much -- your kindness and helpfulness.

Thank you both so much for the nudge, and phone number, to call L&L customer service for another lid.  L&L Could not have been nicer.   I gave them my contact information and the code on the inside of my glass container, and one new handle cover is on its way! 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@RespectLife  @sunshine45  Another example of why I enjoy this forum so much -- your kindness and helpfulness.

Thank you both so much for the nudge, and phone number, to call L&L customer service for another lid.  L&L Could not have been nicer.   I gave them my contact information and the code on the inside of my glass container, and one new handle cover is on its way! 

Yeah @Caaareful Shopper 

Good news!  Thanks for letting us know how you made out!

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yes, It seems that it would be very frustrating for the tabs to break off. I've had all Lock & Lock containers for at least 20 years now. Its all I use. Nothing else. I have yet to have a tab break off of any of my containers! None. I am always amazed when I read that this is a common problem. I am not careful with mine, I just use them like any other household item. I just can't figure out why everyone has tab problems and I never have. Woman Indifferent

@ID2,  when L&L was first sold on Q it was manufactured in S. Korea.  In the early 2000s more and more of the plastic items started being manufactured in China.  Today I think S. Korea only manufactures their glass and cookware products with plastics manufactured in China and I think Vietnam.

IMO part of the problem has to do with growth.  Another case of sacrificing some quality control in order to meet demand.  I also suspect that their factories also manufacture for other brands which adds to production stress.

The majority of my L&L is also old, back to the days when Bob Bowersox was still with Q and I've never lost a tab.

As an aside, I got hooked on L&L due to an embarrassing moment (for Chris) during a presentation with Bob Bowersox.  She had an assortment of filled L&L containers on the table and Bob opened one with I think cereal and ate some, remarking about how crisp it was.  Chris turned bright red when she told Bob the cereal had been in the container for about a year.  This took place in the mid to late 90s

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I had a brand new, never got to use it, container drop on the floor from only a few up and the tab snapped off.  Lock & Lock wanted me to send the entire thing back along with my QVC receipt.  I emailed them photos and everything and that was not good enough.  So mad!  I never did send it in, and of course they no longer carry that particular color (huge gripe about discontinuing colors!).

Honored Contributor

have been collecting lock n lock for many years.....since the beginning.....have also given them as gifts.

have only had to replace three tops (nothing is indestructable) and their customer service was excellent with no questions asked.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein