Respected Contributor

@Msfitness wrote:

@angelina maria I have the LocknLock egg storage container, but I don't use it anymore. The reason is because it holds too much condensation on the egss and on the cover of the container.  Hopefully, after not using it for about 3 years, I can find something else to use it for.

I also use mine for when I make extra meatballs. I put each meatball in one of the cups and freeze them.

I wonder why some get condensation or mold on their eggs. Maybe it depends on the temperature the fridge is set at.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lock and lock egg holder

@Ladybug724 wrote:

I had this and used it but stopped because I noticed mold on the eggshells in a short period of time. That has never ever happened with the cardboard container.

These might be nice to transport deviled eggs but that's about it.

@Ladybug724 - The same thing happened to me! It was almost like the egg had cracked and was leaking or something. DH said it looked like they were freezing! I was so excited to get it in the first place, but I'm using the cardboard containers and they're fine!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Daily, I watch the British program "Escape to the Country" where the audience is treated to tours of beautiful homes for sale.  I've noticed many times  that eggs are not refrigerated and are kept on the counter in a variety of clever holders.  I wonder how long they can safely be unrefrigerated?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@angelina maria 

Hi Steven.  We have 2 Lock and Lock Egg Holders and they both are always full.  My husband eats a lot of eggs!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eggs probably do release some moisture as they age, and maybe that's why I've seen recommendations not to store fresh eggs in tightly closed containers.

In fact, the normal "shrinkage" that eggs go through is why it's often recommended that eggs age for a while before trying to boil and peel them. 

The shell clings more tightly in the freshest eggs and can make them "devilish" to peel neatly.  Been there, done that, learned lesson.

Respected Contributor

I have never seen a problem with mold. If I sit something in top of the container I notice moisture on the inside of the lid. I have no problem storing x-Lg or jumbo eggs in mine. I use my eggs pretty quick. Maybe I’ll try using the second container for boiled eggs that I make weekly, never thought about that. I wondered if anyone ever used the container for jello?
Respected Contributor

I ordered a set of two although I need only one.  The second may be a back-up for hard--boiled eggs.  I've been buying Costco eggs which are in a flimsy plastic 18 egg container, need something stronger.  I'd read a review that the Lock n Lock was better made than other egg holder brands on the market.

I've kept my eggs on the top shelf, the coldest area of the fridge.  If that seems to cause condensation with this holder, I'll move it to a lower section though the air flow holes ought to remedy that, I would think.

Honored Contributor

I had two of them (gave one away) and have used one for eggs over the years with great success.

I'm not sure what is causing condensation for some.  Is it a more humid climate?  I live in an arid climate.

One thing I make sure is that the eggs are DRY when I put them in.  I keep it in the refrigerator, of course.

I haven't purchased eggs in quite a while, though, so I consider giving the other one away.  I don't like eggs and only purchase them (usually I just get a 6pack) when I need them for a recipe (baking).  But for quite a few years I used the L&L container with no problems at all.

Just make sure they are dry on the outside.  It will keep them nicely for, at least, a few weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

I don't know about eggs needing to breathe........but I was told e-ons ago that it's best to keep eggs in their cardboard containers....as supplied by egg producers.

Personally I wouldn't use hard plastic or rubber materials.

I heard the same except it said because you shouldn't put them in the door egg tray. You should keep them on the fridge shelf.

Some organic eggs come in a three-part plastic container:  bottome plastic has the egg inserts, then there a cover that shuts down over that, then another cover over that, opening the other way.  Though thin plastic, it's three plastics.

Respected Contributor

I have an iDesign Fridge Binz egg holder that holds 14 eggs.  I've had it for several years now & it works fine & since it's hard plastic, I can stack other stuff on top of it without the eggs possibly being squashed.  I cut off the date info off of the original egg carton & stick the little piece of cardboard in the front of the egg holder, so I can sort of keep track of how old the eggs are, since I don't always use up eggs quickly.

It looks like this:

iDesign Linus Fridge Bins Egg Holder | The Container Store