Occasional Contributor

Has anyone experienced this problem? One of my sets have red covers. I stored some fresh ricotta cheese and the next day found some pinkish/red color on the ricotta. I thought, someone may have dripped something, so I scraped the top, covered and back into the fridge. 2 days later, opened the container and lots of pinkish/red on the cheese.

I am concerned that perhaps the dyes used for the colors are somehow leaching into the food and may not have previously noticed it because it was camoflaged by the other foods colors, as the ricotta is stark white and would more easily show it. I love lock and lock and do not want to discontinue use, but for now I will hold off buying any more while I test some of the other containers. I find dyes leaching into my food very worrisome. Can anyone let me know if they have had this problem?  I would suggest anyone with concerns about this, try a test with either ricotta cheese, cottage cheese or plain yogurt.

Honored Contributor

Image result for elcome to the group images

Honored Contributor

@JayDee8

YIKES!!!!!!

If that happened to me, I would contact/call the manufacturer.  If there are any "dye" issues, they would know.

The only L&L products I have are the gallon & 1/2 gallon containers w/the red tops.  I have not noticed any "red dye" in the milk, ice tea & lemonaid.  I use OXO products for my food containers.  Never an issue w/them.
"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

@JayDee8 I never had this problem with Lock n Lock, but I have had this problem with mozzarella and soft cheeses like ricotta. This is a sign that the cheese is ready to be thrown out. Do not eat it. That coloring is bacteria and your ricotta has gone bad.

Respected Contributor

I found lock and lock to be garbage.  Breaks so easily and stains terribly.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

I found lock and lock to be garbage.  Breaks so easily and stains terribly.

Oh I completely beg to differ! I have had L&L containers for about 10 years now. I threw out all of my other plastic containers and only will use these. I've never had any problem with any of them breaking. Yes, 10 years of use with my HUGE set and never has one cracked. Staining? Never. I just don't know what to say to people that make these complaints. I am not careful with mine. I throw them in my dishwasher, freeze them, accidentally drop them, all with no problems. And to address the OP, I'm afraid its what another poster said about your cheese. Its seen its better days, toss. 

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

@ID2 I did the same thing. Got rid of all my other containers and only use Lock and Lock. I have original pieces when they first came to the Q that are still in use and work/look great. Also have some newer sets, and lots of holiday ones. I've never had a problem and consequently frequently gift them (with goodies inside) at the holidays.

I've never put mine in the dishwasher though, but I might try that now since you've had good luck with yours in the dishwasher.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Super Contributor

I, too, have only Lock n Lock in my house. I have many sets in all sizes, shapes, and colors. I do put mine in the dishwasher and I have had no problems with any of them.

Respected Contributor

@ID2   @catchersmom

I agree, I ONLY use L&L for at least 12 yrs now.

I have never had one break, and I do put them in the DW.

No stains no peeling, no problems!

I never understand why people have issues?????

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lock and Lock problem

[ Edited ]

I almost didn't read this thread because I have no Lock & Lock and don't plan to buy any. What prompted me to read it I have no clue but oddly enough I opened a partially used container of ricotta cheese earlier to use in a dish I made for dinner and it had some pinkish/redish on the top in 2 spots. Now this container was the one it came in, I just thought it might be staining from some marinara sauce on the spoon the last time I spooned some out for my pasta dish. I don't actually remember what I used it for but since it's almost always a pasta dish I just assumed that. That would have been about a week ago. I smelled it and it smelled ok so I used it instead of the new one I picked up today. This was still in the original container from the store, a plastic sort of container, no red on the lid, just white. Now Apple Crisp has me wondering if I'm going to be getting ill as the night wears on!