Contributor

Re: Listeria outbreak in commercially prepared caramel apples

Yikes. I just gifted my best friend one of the QVC Mrs. Prindables apples this morning for Christmas and am wondering now if I should walk over to her desk and take it back...? I know their website says their brand is not part of the recall, but still, I don't really want my friend going home, seeing the news and thinking the worst. Better go talk to her!

Respected Contributor

The statement on Mrs. Prindables.com /news really doesn't say anything other than they are monitoring the situation. I just received my apples on Wednesday and was going to give them out to neighbors, but I don't know. My hunch is Mrs. Prindables are okay but better safe than sorry. I am probably going to call customer service and ask for a refund and just trash the apples if they don't want them returned.

Respected Contributor

The article I read mentioned the names of a company that makes pre-packaged apples. I think Mrs. P's would be fine as they are made to order. I placed an order for Silvestri apples from HSN and have already eaten 3, so I think I'm okay eating the rest. Silvestri apples are also made to order like Mrs. P's.

From ABCNews.com:

"Those sickened in Minnesota bought caramel apples from Cub Foods, Kwik Trip and Mike’s Discount Foods, which carried the Carnival and Kitchen Cravings brand of caramel apples, according to the Minnesota Department of Health."

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

If QVC does stand for Quality, they should notify anyone who has received a Prindables product, and refund all customers that fall in the time frame. It's the only way for them to keep their reputation with food products. If one person becomes ill, it's not worth them saving a dime.

Highlighted
New Contributor

FYI- I just got off the phone with CS. She said they just received an update that Mrs. Prindable's apples are not affected. I then asked her if she could confirm that the apples I'm getting today are safe to eat, give to children, etc. and she said yes.

I would think if there was any doubt that they would not be telling us that they are absolutely safe. I am going to let them sit in the fridge for a couple of days and wait until a firmer confirmation comes from either the CDC or Prindables.

I do have to say that I also received an earlier shipment about a week and a half ago and many of the apples have been eaten and no one became ill, so I tend to think the ones coming today will be fine as well. Just sharing what I know...

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Lila4now said:

If QVC does stand for Quality, they should notify anyone who has received a Prindables product, and refund all customers that fall in the time frame. It's the only way for them to keep their reputation with food products. If one person becomes ill, it's not worth them saving a dime.

I don't think the listeria outbreak applies to Mrs. Prindable's apples. Mrs. P's are made to order, in other words, they don't make them until you place an order. The tainted caramel apples are the pre-packaged ones sold in convenience and grocery stores.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Not applicable

I just called and demanded a refund since these were going to be given to my son's teachers. Even if I believe , Mrs. Prindables apples are safe the teachers would be angry if they ate them and saw the news story later.
Super Contributor

I tried calling Mrs. P's (mine arrived today, and I'm salivating!) but "call cannot be completed at this time". They probably took the phone off the hook and left for the day. :-)

I'm reading several news sources (although probably from the same ultimate source) and as of now:

1) Only apples w/caramel have sickened people -- no reports from regular apples. That indicates to me, anyway, it's not the orchard (because most companies get their apples from Washington, I'm thinking) so that's encouraging -- it might NOT be wide-spread?

2) If it's indeed the caramel, we need to know if these companies that have named thus far made their own, purchased from the same supplier, OR purchased from Mrs. Prindables. It's possible Mrs. Prindable's sells entire apples to other retailers, so we can't discount them as a source YET.

No news on Mrs. P's site which is either encouraging or cause for worry. Those affected became sick beginning October 17 and last known started November 27, but I'm not sure how long one has it before symptoms appear.

I'm standing by. :-)

Not applicable

I, too, received an order of mrs. Prindables...I just called QVC and was very abruptly told that QVC was not giving refunds at this time even though it may take up to 70 days for symptoms of listeria to occur. Their response is obviously not consistent, nor empathetic...very disappointing even though I will not risk it and have just wasted money. The centers for disease control acknowledges that it doesn't have all the names of the companies....QVC must think it knows more than the CDC.
Frequent Contributor

This is on their facebook page. I am not worried.

We have read the Center for Disease Control report on an outbreak of listeriosis linked to commercially produced, prepackaged caramel apples. Two suspected brands have been identified by the Minnesota Department of Public Health. The Mrs. Prindable's brand was not on that list of affected brands nor has any agency contacted us regarding our products. Our food safety team is monitoring this investigation closely.

Mrs. Prindable's cooks our own caramel from scratch, using the finest ingredients, to strict quality control standards in our own kitchens.

We will provide updates at http://www.mrsprindables.com/news as new information becomes available. Additional information can be obtained directly from the Center for Disease Control (http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/caramel-apples-12-14/).