Valued Contributor

FYI, some produce analysts are predicting cauliflower will be as much as $7 a head soon

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for FYI. The last heads of iceberg lettuce that I bought had lrge brown areas similiar  to the photo that was posted here.

Respected Contributor

Re: Lettuce prices

[ Edited ]

“Which could of lead to the weakening of the plant, lots of certain plants were unable to withstand the heat for a prolonged period of time,” he said. 

This came from a published article?  Wow.  

Honored Contributor

@Reconnaissant wrote:

FYI, some produce analysts are predicting cauliflower will be as much as $7 a head soon

oh that is fine by me......i cannot stand cauliflower! lol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Reconnaissant wrote:

@Reconnaissant Mercifully that will have NO impact on me!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I just bought 2 heads iceberg on Thurs. for $3.18.

I have seen those brown spots on some that I passed on. Wondered what was wrong with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lettuce - so many types, so many types of packaging what to choose.

I will never buy romaine ever again. Too many dangers, way too many recalls. I just will not try this stuff again.

Greens in those shells - hate these things as many are so darn hard to get open after the seal is broken. However, this seems to be the go-to for many. Maybe this type of packaging is cheaper than plastic bags.

I try my best to buy locally grown and/or organic. I've discovered a somewhat local brand at my giant eagle from Medina OH yes in those shells but I LOVE their greens. They always mix it up, beautiful greens, lettuces, and NOW watercress/microgreens mixed in another shell. I started buying only one but we go through these too fast, now I buy two different ones. This brand is called (whatelse in this state of OH) Buckeye Mixed Greens.

Only in specialty stores do I see loose greens in bins sold by the pound. I'd never do this either. No telling how long the stuff has been out. I find this in Lucky's (the one and only still open these days, they started in CO, opened many across the country our's is the only one still open). Not to mention, how many people stuck their grubby hands in these bins. YUCK!

Aldi's has a shell always with 4 diff types of little heads of lettuces that we really enjoy too. 

Never romaine, never iceberg (nothing but water, no nutritional value in this stuff, tons of better out there). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy   Holy cow - $4 for iceberg???????????????????? This is higway robbery for cheap awful iceberg. We all can do way better than this.

If I'm paying $4 for lettuce it better be organic and a great variety in one package. 

Prices here do not fluctuate with greens here that much, doesn't matter to me that much. I don't buy per price, I buy the best I can get, the brand that I love.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@ScrapHappy   Holy cow - $4 for iceberg???????????????????? This is higway robbery for cheap awful iceberg. We all can do way better than this.

If I'm paying $4 for lettuce it better be organic and a great variety in one package. 

Prices here do not fluctuate with greens here that much, doesn't matter to me that much. I don't buy per price, I buy the best I can get, the brand that I love.

Yep.  I think it was made worse (for me) because of where I lived.  Literally, growing it across the street.  Farms everywhere.  Places like Foxy, Fresh Express...all there.  I now live in GA and find not only lettuce but other vegetables with the same name(s) and usually stamped with the city I used to live in on it for much, much less.  Right before I moved, asparagus was $6!  No kidding.

Respected Contributor

I only buy two types of lettuce.   My favorite is a lettuce we ate when we lived in England and I managed to find two places that have it here.  It's called 'Little Gem' and it is delicious.  It looks like little tiny heads of romaine but the taste is a little different.  Almost sweeter.  They are tight little heads and the ones I get come in a little six pack from Green Giant.  Our Market Street has them usually for $3.99 and a local upscale market close to our house has the exact same packages but they charge $5.99 which is down from their winter price of $6.99.  Needless to say, I buy mine at Market Street, Albertsons.    The other lettuce that I like is butter lettuce but MS was out of it early this week when I was there.  I think a head of it was over $5.00 the last time I bought it.   When did lettuce get so expensive????