Honored Contributor

How to empty bottles Philosophy shower gel, etc.

I noticed a set of gaskets and legs in a kit to help you empty bottles of thick gooey stuff.  Not necessary.  My method is obvious if somewhat tedious.  All you need is a space in your house where things will not get disturbed, preferably near a sink in case catastrophe strikes and the bottle slips.  Anyway, say I'm emptying the big almost empty bottle of Philosophy into a hand soap dispenser.  Put a funnel into the smaller bottle, the mouth of the larger bottle into the funnel, resting the larger bottle against the wall.  This is tricky, make sure it is set so it doesn't slip.  Walk away and let gravity do its work. If you can improve this process, please post. At one dollar an ounce average, I don't like wasting my Philosophy.   

Trusted Contributor

Re: How to empty bottles Philosophy shower gel, etc.

I've used this system.  Mostly though, I don't bother decanting the bottle into another container.  I just keep it upside down for a while, and the last of the product comes out that way.  Sometimes I add a little water to help it flow out.  That's about it.  

Honored Contributor

just had some water and shake the bottle-------easy peasy

Honored Contributor

My way is simply to dilute the last inch or so with water. 

Respected Contributor

If you don't want to dilute what's left in the bottle, and/or the bottle has a pump dispenser so it doesn't work to tip it upside-down, then @depglass has the best solution for coaxing the last bit out of the bottle.

Honored Contributor

I bought that "gasket" set and seldom use it.  (wasted money!)  I do as mentioned above.  Usually when just a little left I add water, shake and use it as hand soap until the bottle is empty.  I try not to waste any of the product especially Philosophy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a fairly expensive body lotion which comes in a pump bottle. When it gets low the pump doesn't put out any more. The lotion is very thick and it won't move when I invert the bottle. So I decided to heat the bottle to soften the remaining lotion. I did that in the microwave oven (pump removed) at 3 second intervals until the lotion liquified and then inverted the bottle with a squeeze cap on it before it cooled. I can use almost every bit of it that way.  

Respected Contributor

i dilute with a little water.  I do this for everthing.  Shampoo, conditioner, dish soap, hand soap, even lotion, it makes the lotion a bit thin, but the scent is still there and no waste.  Some items are so thick, even the upside down gizmo won’t get it out!  

The worst bottle ever is a glass bottle of foundation from Physicians formula with a sponge wand.  No way to get it out.  At least a tube you can cut it open, or a jar you can fully open.  

Honored Contributor

I will say one thing.  I always get compliments on my hand soap in the pump dispenser from my house guests.  Back when I could have house guests, that is.

Frequent Contributor

Tape both bottles to the sink/wall!  Painter's tape will come right off.

😉