Honored Contributor

Re: Lettuce Finely Chopped

[ Edited ]

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I am not being facetious but I think the easiest way would be a knife.  

As soon as I read the OP this was my first thought - use a knife.

The problem with a regular knife, is that if you are not using letuce immediately, the metal on the knife caues the lettuce to discolor or "rust"

In the restaurant, for this reason, we used  speical plastic knife for iceberg lettuce

I agree, grab one of those long, thin plastic knives for slicing lettuce.

Believe it or not, I have used a plastic knife from take out food to do lettuce. Places like Wendy's have heavy duty ones that work well in a pinch LOL!

@ChiliPepper can you actually purchase one of these plastic knives or are these from the fast food restaurants?  I have never heard of this, very interesting!

eta:  Never mind Chili as I looked them up on Amazon.  I never heard of this before.

When I shred cabbage for cole slaw I use an OXO handheld mandoline so I would imagine it would also do a good job on lettuce too.

Trusted Contributor

If you need it really fine-you can use the Vitamix method with water. It just takes a  second, and then  dry it in a salad spinner.

Honored Contributor

There are really nice, and large, NYLON knives out there.   I have a couple of them and they work very well.  I know the brand of one of mine is OXO.

Nylon knives are always very handy to have in your arsenal.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is another brand, but it's a really nice-looking large serrated nylon knife 

Honored Contributor

Re: Lettuce Finely Chopped

[ Edited ]

Here are the two large nylon, serrated, knives that I have.  The black one is OXO brand and the red one is a Zyliss.

What I like most about the OXO one is that wide, comfy handle.  It's from their 'Good Grips' line and it is easy to use, even for somebody like me who has had arthritis for many years.

Another cool thing that I neglected to mention is that it seems like these never seem to lose their sharpness.  I've had them for quite a few years and whether I'm cutting a cake or something much harder, they have always worked just as well.  But they ARE perfect for lettuce!  Smiley Happy

P1120457.jpg

Regular Contributor

We were on Royal Carb cruise last summer and one afternoon ate lunch in dining room. They had salad bar and chefs were using pizza cutter to cut fixings for salad into small pieces. They used it on lettuce! We came home and now make our salads this way!

Regular Contributor

We were on Royal Carb cruise last summer and one afternoon ate lunch in dining room. They had salad bar and chefs were using pizza cutter to cut fixings for salad into small pieces. They used it on lettuce! We came home and now make our salads this way!0

Respected Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

If you need it really fine-you can use the Vitamix method with water. It just takes a  second, and then  dry it in a salad spinner.

This^  Or any blender.    

I'm not real sure I think plastic knives will do anything extra.   Lettuce browns in about a week if kept dry whether I tear it or cut it with a metal knife.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@debic

Lettuce can turn brown from old age in about a week. but I believe the browning referred to in the previous post is actually bruising from contact with a metal blade.  I could be wrong, but that's always been my understanding of it.

I don't chop lettuce much and prefer to either tear it by hand or slice it more finely on a cutting board for certain types of salads.   Years go, I invested in this "chopped salad" gadget, which my husband likes to use when forced to prepare his own salad..

Respected Contributor

yes, the discoloration I spoke of is not the normal browning ..it is the result of contact with metal- if you are using the lettuce in an hour or so, no worries, but if you are prepping a large amount say, for the next day and using metal blades, well you may be disapointed...