New Contributor

What happens to all the food cooked/prepared on different shows?  I hope it's not trashed.

Esteemed Contributor

One of the most asked question on here.  Second most asked:  where Jackie Gonzonis (spelling).

Honored Contributor

If it's safe to eat, the workers likely eat it.  If it's been out too long, it's likely tossed.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't worry about food waste on the Q.  I'm sure a lot of it consumed by employees.  What they waste is such a small drop in the bucket of food waste.

I recently saw a documentary on Amazon Prime, Just Eat It:  A Food Waste Story.  The amount of food waste from grocery stores is staggering.  This couple decides to see if they can live off food waste for 6 months. At the beginning they were worried they wouldn't be able to do it, but once they discovered what to do and where to go, they had much more food than they knew what to do with. 

Oh, and by food waste, I'm talking about perfectly fine, unopened, unspoiled food products.  A lot of produce is considered waste because it isn't pretty enough.  That alone changed the way I shop for my fruits and vegetables.  I go for the ugly looking, but perfectly fine, produce now.

I have seen a sign in my local Trader Joe's saying that the previous year they had donated over $900,000 in goods to the local community.  I always thought to myself how is it possible that there can be that much excess from just one store.  After seeing this documentary I know how it's possible. 

Honored Contributor

There is probably less food wasted in a week at QVC studios than there is in a day at a glossy food magazine where they might prepare 12 hams to get one perfect picture of spray 7 bunches of carrots with dye so they look perfect!

And what about all the food at all-you-can-eat buffets -  by law that has to be tossed every few hours.  That also happens on cruise ships where all kinds of precautions are taken to avoid illness while at sea.

I'm not condoning waste, but I really suspect what gets wasted at QVC is so minor it's not worth even the time I just took to write this response!

Super Contributor

I think it is nice of you to be concerned about it and to ask about it. 👍

Honored Contributor

Most food used for display is adultrated to begin with by things like oils and sprays to make it look good.  It also sets out for hours and is not fit for consumption.

Also, it is a cost of doing business and is a tax writeoff for the company.

Trusted Contributor

Just in case you are coming to Las Vegas (where I live) and eat at the buffets -- the leftover food, even thrown in the garage, is sold to our pig farm in North Las Vegas.  At the farm, they separate out any items that aren't food, such as napkins, straws etc.  So those worried, you don't have to finish your plate!!