Esteemed Contributor

That last couple of months the lemons seem to have very little juice and very thick rinds.  Is there something going on that I have missed.

It doesn't matter if they are from California or anywhere in the US or any country.  I shop between 4 stores and it's been rare when I find a good bag.

Respected Contributor

Haven't noticed. I get my lemons from my neighbors lemon trees.  

Honored Contributor

It sounds like there was a shortage of rain.

Honored Contributor

Maybe because citrus season is over?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I bought a bag recently and they seemed pretty normal to me- 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

It sounds like there was a shortage of rain.

We have had tons of rain in CA and my lemons are very juicy, still picking them off my tree.

Honored Contributor

@hopi 

Just like apples, potatoes and onions (not vidalias), what you're buying right now in grocery stores is what's been in cold storage warehouses for months.   

My trucker daughter hauls these products from west coast to east coast, and was surprised to learn how long some of these crops are in cold storage.  Based on what she was told by warehouse personnel years ago, I suspect the potatoes I'm buying could be 2 years old!

Honored Contributor

I have seen these and just thought they were different varities and different growing seasons and locations.  It happens a lot with produce. 

Honored Contributor

I just googled it.  Thick skin on lemons is due to a nutrient imbalance.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

The Myer lemons  off my tree , this year and last year, are almost as big as grapefruits and full of juice. I attribute this to lots of rain, in both years.

The tree is  80+ years old. In years of scarce rain, they were misshapen and dry.

I wonder where your lemons are coming from that they are not up to par?

I am in So. California.