Honored Contributor

How much does this baby weigh?  I bought a Le Frontenac or something like that from HSN a few months ago.  Good price, maybe 80.00 or so.  But - it was so heavy I just put it in the basement.  And - there were chips on the edges.  I should have sent it back and waited for this one, as I knew it was coming. 

Contributor

So glad to read your post as I am amazed anyone that can afford $250 to $500 a pot even bothers to cook!  I have a Staub Dutch oven I ordered years ago from the Q for around $60---love it and still in great cooking condition.  Wish that line was still sold  on QVC.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

How much does this baby weigh?  I bought a Le Frontenac or something like that from HSN a few months ago.  Good price, maybe 80.00 or so.  But - it was so heavy I just put it in the basement.  And - there were chips on the edges.  I should have sent it back and waited for this one, as I knew it was coming. 

Mary Beth said 12 lbs. to heavy for me at my age. 

Honored Contributor

@saywhen wrote:

So glad to read your post as I am amazed anyone that can afford $250 to $500 a pot even bothers to cook!  I have a Staub Dutch oven I ordered years ago from the Q for around $60---love it and still in great cooking condition.  Wish that line was still sold  on QVC.

What does one have to do with the other? Enjoying cooking isn't limited by income bracket. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@depglass

I also received a Frontique chipped one from HSN. I contacted the manufacturer - JA Henkels. Was pleasantly surprised (sorry for this underline I'm on ipad😁🙀

anyway the gentlemen in CS was wonderful his name was Robert. About a month later I received a Staub Coquette 8 qt replacement piece NO CHARGE. They warranty their products 3 years even the HSN brand all I had to do was supply hsn invoice and item # and date of purchase so they could confirm as HSN no longer offered the item.

image.jpeg

I would reach out to the company instead of putting it in the basement. As for cooking in it -- I made a lot pot roasts, stuffed peppers, cabbage etc and it's perfect. Honestly no different then my other pieces inc a small LeCruset. Picked up at garage sale!

Respected Contributor

Expensive  pots and pans don't seem expensive when one night's  dinner for two people in a decent restaurant can cost $100.  This  sometimes might not even include the tip and never includes the appetizers, desserts and cocktails that we don't ever order..

Restaurant food is no longer very appealing to me, anyway, so it's not worth the money to dress up and go out to get it.  A  lot of pots and pans  can be had for that money, and if the cookware is so good that it makes it more pleasurable and easier to cook and clean up, that's all the better.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Expensive  pots and pans don't seem expensive when one night's  dinner for two people in a decent restaurant can cost $100.  This  sometimes might not even include the tip and never includes the appetizers, desserts and cocktails that we don't ever order..

Restaurant food is no longer very appealing to me, anyway, so it's not worth the money to dress up and go out to get it.  A  lot of pots and pans  can be had for that money, and if the cookware is so good that it makes it more pleasurable and easier to cook and clean up, that's all the better.

I agree.  It was a lucky day when I bought a black 7.25 quart Le Creuset dutch oven at an estate sale for $15.  I don't think the sellers realized what these pots go for new.  It didn't appear to be damaged or scratched.  I have prepared many a stew and roast in this pot over the years.  Hoping it is serviceable for many years to come.  

Super Contributor

Le Creuset is definitely a kitchen investment for one piece. My concern lies with the weight of the thing after it's filled. I own a 5 quart Corning Ware casserole that is difficult for me to get in and out of the oven when completely filled. However, nothing cooks like cast iron whether it's enamel coated or not.

Honored Contributor

Others have mentioned the weight and that is a big concern for some. This wouldn't interest me even if it didn't weigh that much because I just am not a good enough cook to warrant spending this kind of money.  I just can't imagine this would cook that much better than something that is less than half this price. 

But I have a relative who wanted Le Creuset so her son bought her pieces for gifts.  Well this year she had to have carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists and now she cannot safely lift the pieces and has gifted them back to her son and his wife.

I have an older Aunt who said she won't use her anymore because they are just too heavy to lift, especially after they are full. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have any problems lifting mine, even the 15 qt goose pot. But I don't have any health or age related limitations. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval