Frequent Contributor

Re: Le Creuset griddle pan TSV

I tried out the griddle pan last night.  I followed instructions to the letter, and cooked 6 pancakes.  After cooking, we let the pan cool, but upon washing there is a sticky residue on the cooking surface that just won't come off.  Tried all suggestions in the book but no go.  I cooked on medium heat and lightly misted the surface with oil after heating and prior to cooking.  Any ideas on this one?  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't use PAM on these pans.  They love crisco solid shortening, but I don't buy that anymore.  I think the sticky substance will come off by sprinkling the pan with baking soda and a little water to make a paste and scrub the pan.  It should come off.  If not try heating the pan back up and with a wet cloth or wet paper towel to try and get the stickly substance up. 

Valued Contributor

I am always wary of pans that have that darker non-stick coating because it always seems to be a sticking problem.  Not just Le Creuset but other products seem that way too.  I much prefer anything I get from Le Creuset to have that white ceramic non-stick on the insides.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks SaltySails.  I'll have my wife give it a try.  I didn't use PAM, just plain Veg. oil.  I have absolutely NO idea what caused this sticky streak across the center of the griddle unless it's actually oil that the food didn't touch.  I heated it with the burner set on 5.  Perhaps I should have turned it down a bit before actually cooking.  Cast iron is new for me.  We have the grill pan as well and will be trying steaks on it today

Valued Contributor

I ordered the grill but sent it back yesterday. I may finally have all the cast iron I want and need. It was perfect with no sticking but the size had no advantages over any other piece I have. This is also the third time there were supposed to be recipes included that weren't. It's a small but irritating thing. 

Occasional Contributor

i had a similar experience using butter. However mine stuck to the pan so badly i couldn't serve the pancakes. I did not use high heat but medium low and heated up the pan first, added butter then the batter. 

After the mess when I went to clean I couldn't get some of the sticky residue off. What a waste. Mine is going back.

I have other le creuset and cast iron and am experienced in the kitchen. These must be damaged.

Valued Contributor

I also purchased both the griddle and grill pans.  The grill pan is being used for the grill, the griddle pan I've used several times.  Heated the pan, buttered the surface, cooked pancakes, eggs, french toast, apple slices with cinnamon sugar, among other things.  At first, the surface had a film after washing, but after I put  a cup of hot water and a drop of dish soap and heated it back up on the stove to boil for a minute, carefully dumped the water back into the sink containing soapy, hot water, scrubbed with a nylon scrubby, rinsed with hot water ....perfectly clean!! Dried it, then heated it again on the stove to completely dry it, cooled, and stored away.

Clean as a whistle...this is how I used to clean my great-grandmothers iron skillet after cooking.  The new pan cleans the same..will continue using my method even though it says to do otherwise.