Trusted Contributor

LOVING this pressure cooker...

GoWISE USA 12-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker + 50 Recipes for your Pressure Cooker Book with Measuring Cup, Stainless Steel Rack and Basket, Spoon 

51PFkOGL0EL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

It is wider than tall, and I am liking it better than my Instant Pot....Cost a lot less as well..Woman Wink It is 10 qts...and before you say that is too big, well I live alone, and it works well for me...

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Re: LOVING this pressure cooker...

Thanks for the information. I am trying to adjust with my 6 quart instant pot. Just the two of us but for some meals need bigger size to have leftovers to freeze. I wish they would make the instant pot in a 8 quart oval. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

They have a ‘canning’ function.

?

From what I understand, regular electronic pressure cookers,

like this brand, are not safe to do canning. 

Canning pressure cookers are special equipment, 

specially for canning alone. 

With that gaff alone, I wouldn’t be comfortable using this brand. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 2 different 8 QT ovals, and some things fit better in this than those 2.....Especially for when it comes to browning meats...

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom  Per the booklet that comes with it...Yes you can "can" in it, as it has 2 different pressue settings, and the bottom of the insert is round and flat, where others are not so flat on the bottom....Have not tried it yet, as not canning season here, per se...

I just went and looked before I spoke, and it actually has a cannig function on it...

Respected Contributor

@sidsmomNot sure where you got your information, but if the bottom is flat and you use a rack you can do canning safely. Follow the safe canning instructions in the Ball Blue Book or from your local University Extension Service.  I was a food safety expert with Colorado State University.  If you are canning a great deal, you would want a pressure canner because they are large and can do 2 layers of most jars.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine wrote:

@sidsmomNot sure where you got your information, but if the bottom is flat and you use a rack you can do canning safely. Follow the safe canning instructions in the Ball Blue Book or from your local University Extension Service.  I was a food safety expert with Colorado State University.  If you are canning a great deal, you would want a pressure canner because they are large and can do 2 layers of most jars.  

Just google ‘pressure cookers vs pressure canners’ and you get a

myriad of hits saying it’s not a recommended practice for the 

regular layman gardener/kitchen cook.  Here’s are several below.

I, personally, wouldn’t want to risk it but I feel it’s irresponsible 

for a cheaper pressure cooker to open that door for risky canning.

If they are that blasé with that function, what else with the machine

is risky? IMO

400C73AC-AB44-4F24-8874-C7C0988BF813.jpeg

02D2C396-BF01-4590-8ED3-10D4163F40B4.jpeg

6BC4DC40-EFE2-4020-BBCB-8755AEAB29C1.jpeg

68EAB486-FD1C-4346-83E5-48F27C97F087.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Please, let me say...I bought this for every day type PRESSURE COOKING...I have a big, lock in the bolts on top STOVE TOP pressure canner, if I was going to do some serious pressure canning...of meats and such. I would not have a poblem with using for jams, jellies, tomatoes, pickles, and high acidic foods, but again, this is for daily PRESSURE COOKING...Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf : You stated your purpose for the pressure cooker. Please ignore other comments, move forward , and continue to post with your recipes and helpful information and suggestions. Enjoying seeing you post again. Southern Bee 

Valued Contributor

I can small batches of green beans and a few other things in my 6 quart Cooks Essentials pressure cooker every year.  I haven't killed anybody yet.  As a matter of fact, there are instructions for canning the book that comes with the pressure cooker.  This is only for 4-5 jars at a time.  I have a pressure canner that I do large batches.