Respected Contributor
Does anyone here shop at LIDL? Wierd food store. This replaced a local grocery chain Best Market.

The first few times they had lots of good selections. Nice salmon, stew meat, puff pastry appetizers and buttery croissants.

Today i was in there and the fresh salmon was going off code tomorrow!

Maybe its the gas prices ?

One thing is i wish they put your scanned items in the cart like ALDI...ive forgotten stuff on the belt and its annoying to have to go back and get things.
Respected Contributor

I have one near by, but have never gone there. My friends shop there and say they have a nice selection of meats.

Honored Contributor

I've been to a Lidl once - last December - and was disappointed.  Prices were okay but nothing to write home about.  And I wanted to see more German goods; they had few.  Overall, it was like a small-scale American supermarket with American brands and unspectacular prices.  One item I bought scanned at the wrong price so I had to find someone for a refund.  Smiley Sad  

Respected Contributor

I will find out in a few months as one is being built nearby in a former Toys R Us location.  I am looking forward to it as an extra grocery store is always welcome to me.  

An Aldi store opened a few years ago and I was thrilled, but now rarely go there.  I just buy a handful of items there, if they happen to be in stock.  

Respected Contributor

Lidl and Aldi are small German grocery stores that popped up in the US about 15 years ago.  We do not have Lidl, but we have an Aldi. At first, the product line was great but as time went on, the produce was so far from fresh I wondered how they could get away with even putting it out.  I still like it for other things because the amount of money I save is at least 100$ on a grocery trip for staple items (minus meat and produce).

Esteemed Contributor

Our local Best Market was replaced by LIDL last year.  There is not a large variety and a lot are brands I don't know.  There prices are much cheaper on certain items.  Our local Stop and Shop sells the Quaker instant oatmeal packets for $5 a box, while LIDL sells the same box for $2.50.  It is strange because you could be in an aisle looking at rice/pasta, then turn the corner and there are snow shovels and snow boots!  I live in NY, not Alaska, so that was a surprise, but they don't sell just food items.

I prefer Best Market to LIDL.

Honored Contributor

We think Lidl has supply issues.  Weeks on end you will find the fresh chicken cases empty or the deli meat section is empty, lots of empty space in the frozen cases.    

Valued Contributor

We have a Lidl.  I do not depend on it for anything but will take a walk through if I am not in a rush.  I have gotten some good deals.  When on special I will buy Coke produts, Cheesecake ($6.99 on sale same brand at regular store was $18), seltzer water and whatever else may pop.  I agree with another the chicken has been pretty much missing the past few months, I do have good luck with their pork loins and tenderloins priced right even when not on sale.  I have to watch at checkout as often the price posted is not what rings up, a big no no for me.  They are always gracious about correcting though.

Honored Contributor

I have been twice and walked through the entire store both times and left empty handed.  I won't be going back.

It is just this mish mash of items and then, in the middle of the store, just like Aldi, are the weird product aisles.  I just really don't get a feel for the store's purpose.

But full disclaimer from me- I also don't care for Aldi or Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.  But Lidl is the strangest one to me.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Never heard of this chain but all Supermarkets are being hit hard by the cost of diesel fuel.  As bad as regular gasoline has gotten ,  Diesel is now well over $6 per gallon and the trucks that come from the warehouses all run on Diesel according to the manager of a local Supermarket who I deal with.