Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

We have a small horse farm, and I have been horse crazy all my life.  Our kitchen remodel isn't for everyone but I sure enjoy it.DLS2109.jpg

@hayseed00

I like it but I need more countertop space for meal prep with me & DH in the kitchen at the same time a lot.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen remodel

[ Edited ]

@hayseed00 wrote:

We have a small horse farm, and I have been horse crazy all my life.  Our kitchen remodel isn't for everyone but I sure enjoy it.DLS2109.jpg

Gorgeous kitchen!!!  Love it....   

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz  I did add a kitchen island in the middle, helps a lot.

Trusted Contributor

@KatieB  Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

I am acting as the General Contractor once again on my kitchen remodel in order to keep the budget in check.

What were some of your best resources when remodeling your kitchen? Please share!

Bought a sink and a range hood on line yesterday from two different on line sources, one of which I used before for lighting fixtures

Backsplash tile from a regional store. This is my one splurge. Expensive and gorgeous and only needed on a small area as a focal point and the Wow Factor. From a manufacturer in CA. Good to learn my choice is in stock.

Hope to finalize my granite choice in the next day or two. Found a local fabricator who provides counter tops for a major national home builder in this region. I can save several hundred dollars in my small kitchen by choosing a remnant. Deciding between two remnants and a slab that is higher but still well priced.

Painting most of the cabinets white from oak- replacing a few. Ordering tomorrow from a Cabinets Direct showroom an hour + drive away. Checked two big box stores and a local cabinet store. CD won my business. Delivery will take about 3 weeks, so painting is scheduled for that time. I should have a "new" kitchen by the first day of spring!

Faucet from Lowe's. Lighting was done in the fall as was ceiling painting. Floor will either stay or be done at a later date. Keeping all the appliances and furniture. Trades people hired.

Valued Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I am acting as the General Contractor once again on my kitchen remodel in order to keep the budget in check.

What were some of your best resources when remodeling your kitchen? Please share!

Bought a sink and a range hood on line yesterday from two different on line sources, one of which I used before for lighting fixtures

Backsplash tile from a regional store. This is my one splurge. Expensive and gorgeous and only needed on a small area as a focal point and the Wow Factor. From a manufacturer in CA. Good to learn my choice is in stock.

Hope to finalize my granite choice in the next day or two. Found a local fabricator who provides counter tops for a major national home builder in this region. I can save several hundred dollars in my small kitchen by choosing a remnant. Deciding between two remnants and a slab that is higher but still well priced.

Painting most of the cabinets white from oak- replacing a few. Ordering tomorrow from a Cabinets Direct showroom an hour + drive away. Checked two big box stores and a local cabinet store. CD won my business. Delivery will take about 3 weeks, so painting is scheduled for that time. I should have a "new" kitchen by the first day of spring!

Faucet from Lowe's. Lighting was done in the fall as was ceiling painting. Floor will either stay or be done at a later date. Keeping all the appliances and furniture. Trades people hired.

You are doing exactly what I did...

I ordered several items (sink, faucet, range hood, lighting fixtures, cabinet hardware, etc... on line (used Amazon,Lowes,Hayneedle, e-bay a lot) to save money.. bought appliances locally, instead of having kitchen designer order them )...

I painted the cabinets myself... I did have the kitchen designer order three extra cabinets (which were quite expensive) , but I found two extra cabinet doors at the kitchen designer in their storeroom... cost me next to nothing...just had to paint them to match....

I also had them reuse the crown molding/oak filler pieces that were already there (cannot believe how much new solid oak molding costs!..yikes!)....

Bought (from Home Depot) and did backsplash tile myself... looks pretty good IMHO!..

We did have the flooring installed professionally from a local flooring company (wanted their warranty) after removing the old porcelain tile ourselves..(That was a mess!!)...

Bought paint (LOVE ACE hardware ROYAL eggshell paint .. bought on sale) and painted my kitchen/living areas myself... took awhile, but saved me a ton of money!..

Sounds like you're really on top of it!.... Good luck in your kitchen remodel and have a great day!

Respected Contributor
Some thread talked about what to put above cabinets. I had soffits so did not have that issue. Did decorate above DM cabinets and it was nice but difficult to balance. New cabinets are to ceiling and noticing how ceilings look taller. That’s a good thing.
Respected Contributor
Word of caution: moving washing machine to garage can subject to freezing temperatures and there is water inside machine when off (water valve). Cracking results. Lesson learned.
Valued Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

What’s not to LOVE?!  It’s beautiful!!!