Respected Contributor
Kitchen gutted three weeks ago. Eat-in area being reduced by 18” to increase laundry room so I can have room for baskets or cubbies (not perfecting that area yet). My floor was 33 year old vinyl. New vinyl put down this week- looks like tile with grout. Whew! Like the color. Cabinets in garage and will be installed this week. Donated my “old” oak look cabinets that were lighter in color. Have selected darker walnut against almost every article that I picked up that were white or grey. I do hope all these decisions have the results that I want. I did replace two windows over sink with one picture window. What a huge difference! Never had a backsplash before and going from laminate countertops to quartz. It is exciting but scary.
Respected Contributor

We completely gutted our kitchen six years ago......took out the ceiling, floors, walls.....everything. I love it but I would NEVER put myself through that experience again.

I am a neat nut and the disorder nearly drove me to the edge. 

Respected Contributor

We're in the tail end of a long overdue kitchen remodel. It's an almost 100 year old house and the last remodel was  probably in the 1960's. The cabinets have been replaced along with the countertop and sink and "floating" vinyl plank floor. New dishwasher is installed. The windows over the sink have been installed and we're waiting for two more windows. 

It's a small kitchen with limited counter space. By relocating a pantry cupboard we were able to add two more feet of counter space. Because of the age and style of the house we didn't want to overimprove.

Contributor

Thought about doing a post with before and after on my kitchen remodel.  Same time frame as yours. Very small,home but the view is spectacular. Taking a non load bareing wall down will open up the entire living area. Not my dream kitchen yet but will be a step up. We are working on very small budget as well. I love thinking out of box and making do with what is there. Pictures please Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We did a total kitchen remodel of our first house which was built in 1958. We did this remodel back in 1989. I loved how it turned out. I just saw photos when the owners, who bought it from us, put our old house up for sale, a year ago. Shockingly, the kitchen was the exactly the same, even down to the wallpaper we had! Impressive!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I had my small kitchen remodeled almost two years ago already... time goes by!...

I went with a local established kitchen designer to help me with the plans..

The kitchen now has a new layout....

I had all the cabinets removed from top and bottom, painted  and new hardware... had a large peninsula  removed (this was attached to the wall, was a junk collector and in the way .. could not reach the cupboards above it).....dishwasher/disposal removed (wanted the extra storage area),  plumbing reconfigured (moved sink to another wall) gas line installed,... electrical outlets added switches moved, new appliances, light fixtures, sink, countertop, backsplash, window removed and reconfigured, new floor throughout open concept.....lots of mess!!

Mainly, I went with a more functional  layout (previously, there were a lot of wasted areas)... before I had a corner sink with a window I could not  see out of or reach it open/close/wash if I wanted to... now I have a large window above my sink (moved sink to a long wall) I can open and it's low enough I can watch my birds outside....love it!  ....

I now have more counter space for food prep...before the counter space was broken up and had to keep moving from one space to the next....I now have a designated baking area set up... I added a few more cabinets... easy reach for the bottom corner for my pots/pans... large bank of drawers for baking pans, etc...

It was a mess, but I can now function much better in my small space.. 

Trusted Contributor

We did our kitchen over about five years ago, down to the walls. New cabinets, new fridge, granite counter tops, China cabinet, pantry, new floor, new larger window, single large Blanco sink. We put two sun tunnels in the kitchen for added natural light. Best thing we ever did. I think it took about six weeks, but it was worth every minute of washing dishes in plastic tubs in our bathtub......and I hate washing dishes.

(We just finished our bathroom remodel last year. Down to the walls again and started completely over.)

Respected Contributor
I have never heard of sun tunnel, will have to look up.
Doing dishes in large bowl in utility tub has to be easier than bathtub. Backbreaking.
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom @PamelaSue72

Sun Tunnels are great.

When we reshingled our roof we had the sky light in our bathroom removed and replaced with a sun tunnel.  It provides more brightness then the sky light ever did and now we don't have the issue of having to paint the narrow shaft of the sky light.

Honored Contributor

At some point we will remodel ours if we don't buy another house.

We will gut it to install new cabinets with pull out drawers, shelves, with larger panrty etc to make our life easier as we get older. Take down the rest of the wall between kitchen/living area to install huge island. with quartz countertops with farm sink. We need a kitchen that's usable so we can continue cooking as long as we can. Not going to get on the floor to get things out of the cabinets.