Honored Contributor

Kitchen Cleaning - What am I missing?

I'm gearing up to do a thorough kitchen cleaning today. 

I always feel like I'm forgetting something obvious and important.

Please tell me what I'm missing.

Thank you.

• Dust ceiling.
  • Swipe walls.
  • Clean top of fridge.
  • Shine backsplash.
  • Clean cabinet doors.
  • Clean stovetop.
  • Clean appliance doors - dishwasher, oven, fridge.
  • Disinfect trash cabinet.
  • Shine countertops.
  • Clean that space under the cabinets, near the floor - what the heck do you call that?
  • Scrub and shine sink.
  • Wash floor.
~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen Cleaning - What am I missing?

This must be a joke.  What is this "thorough kitchen cleaning" thing of which you speak?   Smiley Very Happy

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

A cleaning lady.  I think that space is called a mop board or a kick board. 

Respected Contributor

It's called a  toe kick.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll stop by with coffee & cinnamon buns.

You'll forget all about cleaning by the 2nd bun. 😊

Respected Contributor

G'mornin', @house_cat.  You're in for quite a day, aren't you?  Here are two items I would add to my list:

• Vacuum the coils on your refrigerator.  Keeping them clean will help extend the life of your frig.  If it's an older refrigerator you might actually have to pull it from the wall to find them on the back of the machine.  Newer refrigerators have them in the front, down by the floor.  It is always astounding to me how much dust they can hold.
  • If they don't reach the ceiling, clean the tops of your cabinets.  For easier cleaning in the future, line the tops with waxed paper, tissue paper, brown paper bags or even newspaper.  Then, next time, all you'll have to do is switch out the paper. 

"Clean that space under the cabinets, near the floor - what the heck do you call that?"   It's called a toe kick.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Hummm??? This must be a foreign language...When my husband was alive my house was spotless...

Then I realized how short life is...My kitchen is clean (enough for me).  I'd rather be doing something fun with people I love and who love me...

It's amazing what the 'mind' can 'over-look'.

I was raised with an Aunt who had what is now called OCD.  I wasn't allowed to leave a spot from water in the kitchen sink.  There was no 'paint' on the toilet seat due to cleaning with bleach and Lysol.

I swore I'd never be like that.  Due to my personality I finally realized there was no chance of that!  Ha!

Not making fun of anyone just teasing a bit.  I hope it's taken that way.

@house_cat is actually one of my favorite posters and I think she'll 'get' my post.  Hope so.  Love you @house_cat 

Be safe.Heart

Respected Contributor

Pull the stove and fridge out, clean the floors underneath them, wipe down the sides, and clean the coils on the fridge so it can work more effectively. This would also be a good time to clean under the sink where we tend to keep the chemicals and things.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

I should clean the fridge coils.  I usually do it once a year, but I suspect that's not often enough.

Thanks to those of you who identified the "toe kick". I knew it was some kind of kick!  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Thank you. I enjoy your posts, as well.

No worries about me overcleaning. If I lived alone, and didn't work, that could be an issue, but I have a full-time job AND I live with two men, so having a spotless house is not an option.

~ house cat ~