Occasional Contributor

This morning, I was on the verge of once again throwing away my half full International Cafe containers and various nearly full salt boxes - the humidity had turned each one to rock hard lumps, sigh.  Instead, I used my Kitchen Aid chopper to grind them back into powder - hooray!  I then discarded the cardboard containers and transferred to my Lock-N-Lock's for dry storage.  Had to post my "discovery" since I have totally wasted these things many times, and it never occurred to me before to try this.  Smiley Wink  

Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid and Lock-n-lock

@TropicalLu 

Good idea, wish Lock & Lock would make small, cylinder shaped containers for spices!

I do keep my brown sugar in one and have no lumping/hardening issues.

Here in the hot, humid south, I can't keep things like garlic power, onion powder, etc. because they turn into a brick in no time!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

Tupperware makes spice containers.  Before they came out with them back in the 70's, I bought a few sets of the tupperware salt & pepper shakers and I poured my spices in them and just re-labled them to what spice I had in each; this was also great when I was outside grilling.  Sadly, when I moved, the people packing up my house took all my tupperware. 

Now what I do with my spices to prevent them from caking up, specially the spices that come in plastic containers, I just unscrew the top and place a thickness of plastic wrap and then screw the top back on. 

With my health issues, and at times limitations, and now being alone, my cooking situation has changed.  I'll cook are large batch of something or make a nice size roast, I do use the crockpot a lot.  Cook once and eat a few days or freeze portions; so it's not a hassle to remove the plastic wrap from the spice container(s) and then screw the top back on. 

Valued Contributor

I have always wished Lock and Lock would make spice containers.  I found something from Tupperware that I keep spices.  There are two sizes, a small one and a larger one.  They seem to work well for all my canning spices.

Honored Contributor

We have an RV located on a permanent lot that we use all summer.  My spices were getting a lot of moisture and caking, so I started to keep my bottles in a lock and lock container.  I have one with a handle on top.

I just pull it out of the cupboard and I can see everything that is in there and get what I need. No need to transfer the spices into another individual  container.

Respected Contributor

It does feel really good to not waste...I would spend money on brown sugar and then be not able to use. Thank goodness for the Lock & Lock containers!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

We have an RV located on a permanent lot that we use all summer.  My spices were getting a lot of moisture and caking, so I started to keep my bottles in a lock and lock container.  I have one with a handle on top.

I just pull it out of the cupboard and I can see everything that is in there and get what I need. No need to transfer the spices into another individual  container.

@Carmie 

Good idea! Thank you!

I have one of the large ones with handles too, I just never thought about putting the bottles in a lock & lock!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

I love to buy spices and bought many from Pensey's and they come in jars.  I've store the bottles in the L&L with handles as well.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@TropicalLu 

Good idea, wish Lock & Lock would make small, cylinder shaped containers for spices!

I do keep my brown sugar in one and have no lumping/hardening issues.

Here in the hot, humid south, I can't keep things like garlic power, onion powder, etc. because they turn into a brick in no time!

I just use ball mason jars.  You can get them in all sizes.

They are better than L&L.

Respected Contributor

@TropicalLuy Yay for keeping your cool.  Smiley Happy