Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid Demonstration Made Me Sick Today

I always crack eggs into a separate bowl both to check to see if they are fresh enough but also to avoid any egg shells making it into my dish.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I don't do much with eggs and haven't heard of them having blood. I bet Laura was embarrassed. From now on, I'll do as some of you suggest - breaking them into a separate bowl first.

Honored Contributor

I guess I have a cast-iron stomach. I didn't see it, but it wouldn't make me sick. Sorry it affected you so poorly.

Respected Contributor

Ive probably been cracking eggs for about 75 years, and sure I've found some blood spots. I tend to throw those eggs out because I don't 'care for the way they look, but I can't recall ever feeling ill because of it.

As far as I am concerned, Laura Weathers can do no wrong. If that's what they gave her to work with, I am sure she just went ahead with the demonstration, given the great presentations she always does. What would you expect her to do anyway - barf over an egg?

Honored Contributor

I had a couple. A very little blood, what about fresh meat? Also, the thought of eating an egg? Crack the egg into another bowl, before you put it in the recipe.

Respected Contributor

"normally" I try to break eggs into a separate bowl before adding, usually to make sure there is no shell or smell, etc- Of course you get the occasional blood spot, not really a big deall...

Of course, ONE time I was making something in the Kitchen aid which took so much beating and was $$$ to make and I broke an egg right into the mix, BOOM the entire yolk was bloody!! I have never before nor since seen anything like it!

THAT time, I threw it out....

Honored Contributor

For the sake of time, they probably have no choice but to crack the eggs right into the bowl.

Another option would be to have all the eggs "pre-cracked" into a measuring cup or some other vessel that you can pour. The eggs can be added one at a time that way too.

Respected Contributor

Please tell me how the QVC staff would have stopped this on live TV... I just can't wrap my head around this statement: "I can't believe QVC cooking staff would allow this or that she would even go ahead and add those eggs to the recipe. It really made me sick." Have you never seen a blood spot on an egg at home? If so, did you get sick then?? If so, how long did it take you to get over it? I don't understand your post at all... Laura gives excellent demonstrations of KitchenAid products. And, IT'S LIVE TV...........

KatieB

Respected Contributor

And,

Can you eat eggs with blood spots?

Eggs with a visible blood spot on the yolk are safe for consumption. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife. Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny spots are not harmful and are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Mass candling methods reveal most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat.

KatieB

Respected Contributor

I personally crack them into another bowl first. The blood grosses me out too.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".