Esteemed Contributor

I love Jiffy cornbread muffins. I like the blueberry too. i haven't had them in a long time. I think I'll have to buy some soon. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

In my area of WV, we referred to corn pone as a griddle cake; cornmeal, salt, water, stirred into a thick batter, rolled into balls, flattened into a patty by hand and fried in bacon grease in an iron skillet.  

All the women in my family made cornbread in an iron skillet, with white cornmeal, not yellow.  I am not a fan of yellow cornmeal.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop,

Yes, me too. The white is so good.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@on the bay 

In my area of WV, we referred to corn pone as a griddle cake; cornmeal, salt, water, stirred into a thick batter, rolled into balls, flattened into a patty by hand and fried in bacon grease in an iron skillet.  

All the women in my family made cornbread in an iron skillet, with white cornmeal, not yellow.  I am not a fan of yellow cornmeal.  

These are corn fritters to us.  My babysitter made them every night.  Love them.  
Corn pone was about as big as your hand, put 3 in an iron skillet, and thicker.  No grease, just "baked" in the pan on the stove top.
It's all good!

Respected Contributor

I like Jiffy Cornbread Muffins, but I love Krusteez Honey Cornbread even more. So moist.

The Jiffy Muffin mixes make delicious pancakes. My boys love them.

Blueberry, Apple Cinnamon, Raspberry, Banana & Chocolate Chip (When you can find that, but it is rare.).

The pancake recipe is on the side of the box.

Respected Contributor

I used to make Jiffy cornbread mix until I tried making homemade cornbread with a recipe out of my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I have never looked back! Real cornbread is so easy and fast to make and the end result is far superior.

Trusted Contributor

Great tip @Zhills 

We make 2 pkgs of jiffy cornbread and add a can of cream corn in a 9 inch pie dish

Green Giant Cream Style Sweet Corn, 14.75 Oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Honored Contributor

For me, cornbread should be dry to soak up more juice from the pinto beans it will swim in. 

Trusted Contributor

@lynnie61 Thank you for giving them to the birds. I see so many times people throw things away and it makes me cringe. I know  you can't feed everything to the animals, but it's nice to see someone else does this when you can.Heart

Valued Contributor

Their new mix with honey is better too. Sometimes I mix in some shredded cheese and use it as a casserle topping. And yes add sour cream to any mix will make it much better.