Honored Contributor

Anybody have an Italian cookie recipe that looks like Mexican wedding cakes, but, is flat ?

Real tender, buttery type of cookie , but U don't roll into balls, it's flat and lacy like.

My sister bought some cookies at a fancy gourmet place and paid over a dollar a cookie , but, she didn't care she went back and bought 2 more. LOL She doesn't have a computer and wants me to look them up. I tried, but, all I could find was a cookie looking like Mexican wedding cake and the ones she ate were flat like a sugar cookie.

Thanks !

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen and eaten these in North Beach in San Francisco. I want the recipe, too! Can't wait to see if you get the response you need. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Those are pizzelles. You need a pizzelle iron to make them.

You can use different flavorings. My mom used anise, but I prefer vanilla or lemon.

Here's a link to one recipe.

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor
I use my pizzelle maker regularly, the kids adore them!
Super Contributor

We call them French Cookies and bake them, 2 at a time, on a mini waffle maker (I suppose it's a pizzelle maker, only it doesn't make a fancy design on the cookies). These are very hard cookies, perfect for dipping in a hot drink or milk. Our recipe makes a lot and is something I only do at Christmas (a seasonal tradition for our Church bizarre).

FRENCH COOKIES

1 1/2 c butter, melted

1/2 bottle butter flavor

5 eggs

3 c brown sugar

2 c white sugar

3 T vanilla

8 c flour

Mix all ingredients together; batter will be very stiff. Roll into walnut sized balls and bake in a well oiled pizzele maker until golden brown. Cool on wire rack and store in a tightly covered container.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies, so far. She said it was a tender, flaky, buttery type of cookie. All the recipes I found online were Mexican wedding cookies like. She needs to come out and ask the place for the recipe hahhaha

Respected Contributor

LOL, she needs to take a picture. The lacy part is throwing me off. I would have said almond crescent cookies otherwise.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

yeah, she's nuts hahhahahaha have to ask her if it has another part of the name besides just plain 'Italian'.

Respected Contributor
Flat and lackey describes a Florentine, but yet you are saying it's like a butter cookie....ok, this is a dangerous topic for me because I am the original cookie monster. I went on Amazon because there are a number of books we can borrow-just like a library. There was one book I looked at and knew I had to buy it... I did....and then I went on to buy two more....yessireeBob, there will be no shortage of Italian cookies and sweets in our house! Tell me a little more, for example, does it have a distinct almond flavor? Actually, that may or may not help....there are a million Italian cookies, but you have me stumped on the description of it being like a Mexican Wedding cookie, but flat and lace like.....well, now I have all of these recipes, I need to stock up on anise, amaretto, Fra Angelico, almonds of all kinds......sigh, I never should have viewed this topic!!! Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

yeah, when U go on allrecipes.com and type in Italian cookie it shows what looks like to me a fat Mexican wedding cake ball with powdered sugar. I'll try to get more out of her hahahhaha She probably just needs to make a sugar cookie or butter cookie and put pwd. sugar on it and roll the dough out and use cookie cutters.